'74-'76 Owners, Any bumper mods??

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
I have a '76 Scamp and I want to do something different with the bumpers. Ideas or suggestions? I think they would look better sunk in closer to the body.

I've though the same thing. It shouldn't be too hard since they are on the shock absorbing type mounts. I haven't really looked closely at the shocks, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to disassemble them so that you can compress them as far as you want so they sit in closer, then weld it so it's no longer a shock mount. Another thing you could do is weld studs on the back of the bumper where the bumper bolts normally go through and fill the bolt holes in the bumper. Just use nuts on the backside of the mount.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the shock mount and drain all the oil in them out. Then take out the filler panel and push the bumper in where you want it and then weld the holes you drilled in to the shock mounts up to lock it in to place.

I have a '76 Scamp and I want to do something different with the bumpers. Ideas or suggestions? I think they would look better sunk in closer to the body.
I went nuts on mine.

72bumper.jpg

Drill a hole in the bottom of the shock mount and drain all the oil in them out. Then take out the filler panel and push the bumper in where you want it and then weld the holes you drilled in to the shock mounts up to lock it in to place.

Great idea, I'm going to try this.

I allready did the bumper push in on mine. Bumper still overhangs the corners of the car and doesnt look quite right.

Hey DusterKrazy -
Check out this bumper I saw at Mopars At The Strip this year. I think the '70 B-body tail lights look really nice.

MATS2010103_edited (Small).JPG

Do you mean drill a hole in the bottom side or a hole in the very bottom of the shock mount next to where it would bolt to the unibody?

I know this is on a 74 duster but it will look the same. IT does look better than the shock look but when they made the shock style they made the bumpers longer to extend out past the back of the car.

Directfitradiator003.jpg

Do you mean drill a hole in the bottom side or a hole in the very bottom of the shock mount next to where it would bolt to the unibody?

Right in the bottom of the shock mount itself near the back of it so the oil will drain out.

The mount is a shock with oil in it to meat the 5 MPH bumper law they had at the time.

You need to pull the filler piece out of between the bumper and body. Its held onto the body by screws. Then you chould be able to push your bumper up as far as you want it and weld the old shock mount together.

-
Back