74 Cuda build.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Since I havent touched my car in months I thought I would share some pictures of a customers car Im doing at the shop Im working at.

The car is a 74 Barracuda. I believe it was a 318, auto. Now set up fpr a 4 speed. The car has been to 2 other shops before ours, Dry stripped twice, Painted 5 shades of yellow, full of runs and dirt. The last resto ended in a law suit that took 5 years to get it here. He had it restripped and dropped it off to us.

The car had new quarters on it when we got it which needed a ton of straightening. Looks to have had the floor boards replaced and the trunk patched. Anyone with an E body, I must say the Goodmark fenders that are on it are pretty good.

When I started at the shop the car was in its first coat of primer with no sheet metal bolted up front.

My first step was to start bolting up the new fenders and get it all lined up.

010.jpg

011.jpg

next was fitting the rear valance which was all ready reworked to fit by the last shop. He also brought a new one incase but it wasnt even close to fitting correctly.

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

014.jpg

Next I started blocking the car out. I started with 180 grit on a long block. I use a set of Dura-Blocks I bought off of ebay for around $30, they use adhesive backed long board paper and come in different lengths. thicknesses and shapes.

009.jpg

026.jpg

Heres were I am now. I re primed the entire car with a 2K primer and started round 2 of blocking, again with 180.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

I run a line of tape down the body line to keep from sanding it down. This really helps make the sharp and straight,

005.jpg

The hood had to be the hardest part to block. It also turned out to need the most work.

007.jpg

I'm having you over for a vaction, payed, to help me with mine!

No problem Rob. I will install those window louvers and chins spoilers I sold you years ago, LOL

if i ever get to the e bodies a 74 cuda is what i want. just because of the that they made so few of them if nothing else.

Adam, there still in a box tucked away. After the Duster is done, I'm gonna continue to try my hand on the Dodge, then the Plymouth.
The Dodge should be easy and quick save the drivers rear 1/4 panel.

Figured I would update. I blocked the car 3 more times after those pictures, 220,320,400 wet. The primer was all most shiny when I was done. Its amazing paint will stick to such a smooth surface but the shop next store goes to 800 wet before paint.

Heres some pictures. The color is 09 Dodge Inferno red.

IM000346.jpg

IM000347.jpg

IM000348.jpg

IM000350.jpg

IM000351.jpg

IM000352-1.jpg

IM000353.jpg

This is just base, no clear yet. We actually pulled all the sheet metal off the front and sprayed the color then bolted it back together. It will get another few coats of color then clear. The car should be painted tonight.

I bet the owner is gonna be pissed 'cause he's gonna have to wear sunglasses even at night to be around it !!!!!

That is gonna look sharp. Keep up the great work and keep those pictures coming.

Looking really good, maybe after your done that car you could do some of that good work on my dart while I'm layed up. Do you see a trip to Fredericton in your future?[-o<

Looking really good, maybe after your done that car you could do some of that good work on my dart while I'm layed up. Do you see a trip to Fredericton in your future?[-o<

I have another 71 Cuda in the shop, an old Volvo, a 68 Camaro, a 66 Chevelle a 69 Chevelle, a 36 Chevy Coupe, my Dart and the bosses Nova to do still.

We must be doing something right.

Well it painted, I left the shop at 2am and Kevin was laying down the second coat of clear.

IM000375.jpg

IM000376.jpg

IM000378.jpg

IM000379.jpg

IM000382.jpg

IM000383.jpg

IM000386.jpg

Laying down the clear.

IM000388.jpg

IM000389.jpg

IM000390.jpg

IM000391.jpg

IM000393.jpg

IM000394.jpg

IM000387.jpg

The color looks great and best of all the owner seemed real happy with it. Its going to be sharp when its all bolted together.

Inferno Red is a sweet color.
My friend's 2000 Intrepid R/T is that color and it just looks nice with the metallic in the paint.
Looks like a great build, I'm looking forward to assembled pictures.

That looks freakin' awesome Adam. I would love to see a shot of that color out in the sunlight so I could see that color in good lighting!! Super nice work!

Nice but its missing something...hockey stick stripe,would look killer..

-
Back