74 dart has electrical power but no start

-

dartman74

Reaction score
I am trying to get my 74 dart running. I brought it from MS to NC this weekend. It hasn't ran in over a year. I am trying to get it to start. I put a new battery in it and I have electrical power everywhere. When I turn the key to start NOTHING. Trying to narrow it down to a few things. Here is what I am thinking:
1. Ignition ballast(ceramic looking rectangle in the back right corner)
2. Replace the battery cable to the starter (it is rough looking)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

you get nothing at all when you turn the key to start? not even a click? sounds like a neutral safety switch holding it out to me with out being there to see the problem in person.

make sure everything is hooked up correctly..

75DartA.jpg

75DartB.jpg

Yup. transmission? Auto? Do still have the clutch start safety switch? (4 speed?)

You should be able to narrow it down with a few simple tests. Go around front and jumper the only exposed terminals on the starter relay. If it cranks, it's in the neutral safety/ harness/ ignition switch end. If it does not, it's a starter / cable problem

If this cranks, take a test lamp to the two "push on" connectors on the start relay. Pick one and unhook it. Probe each connector, have a friend twist the key to start. One of them will "go hot." Hook that one to the relay, and GROUND THE OTHER terminal. It should crank.

If so, it's in the wire/ to the / and the / transmission neutral safety switch.

If it's a 4 speed, it's the wire/ to the / and the clutch start safety switch.

thanks for the info guys. I will try tomorrow. It does not even click when I turn the key. I am starting a very slow restoration on this dart. I am the 3rd generation owner of it. Owner as of this past Friday. Like I said, it has been sitting. Could be worse, Could be better. I will let you know how this turns out.

THanks again

I replaced the starter relay and the ignition ballast today and still got nothing when I turned the key (not even a click). I then jumped the terminal on the starter relay and got it cranked!! Checked the other two connections on the relay and grounded out the one with no power to see if it was the neutral safety switch. After doing that, I turned the key and NOTHING. Am I missing a fuse or something? I had someone tell me that they went through six relays from O'Reilly's and finally got one from Dodge and that one worked. Any input?

I ended up having to install a starter button under the dash in my Duster. When I turn my key switch I also get no cranking but since I installed the under the dash starter switch, I only need to turn key switch to the "on" position and push the button and the engine cranks and starts. I think I have a bad key switch and this is why I bypassed the key switch with the button.

I replaced the starter relay and the ignition ballast today?

OK, let's not start with the old "let's throw parts at it and hope."

You need to look at the posted diagram, bad as it is, or get a better one.

One the top diagram, look for the starter relay, right below and left of the starter.

2e6bp13.jpg

Notice the two terminals on the right side of the relay, marked L and G in this diagram. THESE ARE the coil of the relay, and can be switched. Thes are the two "push on terminals"

The wire heading off "L" and going down, goes through the bulkhead to the "start" contact on the ignition switch.

THIS WIRE which should be yellow or yellow with tracer is the "hot" wire "in start" from the key

You need to find it, check it with the ign switch twisted to start, and see if it's hot. IF not, trace it back to the bulkhead connector, and see if it's hot THERE. If not, I'd pull the bulkhead connector apart, and then check the half that's in the firewall.

IF THIS IS NOT HOT, the only thing you have from the firewall connector is a short length of wire to the igniton switch.

So now you are looking at this wire, or the connector being loose/ bad on the ignition switch, or a bad switch itself.

BUT -- if you find this yellow and it's hot "in start", NOW you have to look at the GROUND side of the relay.

IF you have a stick transmission, the SECOND push on terminal goes to the clutch safety switch and GROUNDS that second terminal when the clutch is depressed

IF you have an automatic transmission, the SECOND push on terminal goes to the center pin of the transmission switch (neutral safety) and once again, GROUNDS the second terminal when in neutral or park

So your starter relay COIL path is from IGN SWITCH to BULKHEAD CONNECTOR to START RELAY PUSH ON TERMINAL --through the coil -- FROM SECOND PUSH ON TERMINAL to GROUND (through NEUTRAL SAFETY or CLUTCH SAFETY switch)

THE ABOVE turns on the STARTER RELAY

The two contacts (switch) of the STARTER RELAY are the great big stud which is hooked to the battery, and the "square" terminal which goes to the starter solenoid.

The only other screw in this deal is "do you" or "did you" have the incredibly irritating seat belt interlock?

If you do, it's a relay under the hood with a great big reset button on top

see here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7gido07hjkks7tffrn29ncarb6&/topic,62735.0.html

If you do, there should be two yellow or yellow with tracer wires to the plug. Connect these two together

Thank you for the info 67dart. I will trace it all. If it is the interlock, which mine does have, do splice the two yellow wires where it goes into the interlock reset box?

Well, I finally got it started with the ignition. It was the interlock reset/solenoid. I cut the two yellow wires and spliced them together and fired up like a charm. Thanks to everyone for the help and input. Pulled it out of the garage to do a little work and when I went to back it in figured out that reverse was gone!!!! How is that for luck!

-
Back