74 Dart Sport Windshield Installation

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I searched and found a few threads about this. Not much detail was included, and now that I just (almost) finished mine, I can understand why!

It's a sum beech!!!

There would be no way to describe or even video the techniques needed. Basically, I put the gasket in the window opening (some masking tape holding the upper on), put the bottom in, then worked up each side at relatively the same time. I got as much of the top corners as possible, and then did the top and the rest of the top corners at the same time.

I used the plastic pry tools. I used these:
223548458280 It helps to have several. Have some on each side of the car, and you'll probably have one in each hand, and maybe one stuck in the gasket to maintain your progress.

I've never done one before.

Here's my take on it:
Patience is of the utmost. I worked on it for an hour or two at a time and walked away. (I do have the advantage of it being in a garage, but a tarp would work.)
The only other thing I could say is, don't be married to any particular technique. Try different things. The "thumping" (open handed), also as you go, a few inches at a time, that I read about helps seat the gasket when it's almost in place.

I used a new gasket. "Precision" is the brand. Lots of Dawn dish soap mixed with a little water. I've read about guys using the old gasket. I wouldn't even try! It would be harder to work with (stiff), and more leak prone.

I didn't use any glue. The threads I read were about 50/50 for/against.

I still have to install the lock strip. I thought I could install it without the special tool. I got nowhere quick. I bought the tool and I'm waiting for it to finish the job.

Last edited:
I searched and found a few threads about this. Not much detail was included, and now that I just (almost) finished mine, I can understand why!

It's a sum beech!!!

There would be no way to describe or even video the techniques needed. Basically, I put the gasket in the window opening (some masking tape holding the upper on), put the bottom in, then worked up each side at relatively the same time. I got as much of the top corners as possible, and then did the top and the rest of the top corners at the same time.

I used the plastic pry tools.

I've never done one before.

Here's my take on it:
Patience is of the utmost. I worked on it for an hour or two at a time and walked away. (I do have the advantage of it being in a garage, but a tarp would work.)
The only other thing I could say is, don't be married to any particular technique. Try different things.

I used a new gasket. "Precision" is the brand. Lots of Dawn dish soap mixed with a little water. I've read about guys using the old gasket. I wouldn't even try! It would be harder to work with (stiff), and more leak prone.

I didn't use any glue. The threads I read were about 50/50 for/against.

I still have to install the lock strip. I thought I could install it without the special tool. I got nowhere quick. I bought the tool and I'm waiting for it to finish the job.
Thanks for sharing. I'll be doing that crap before long myself!

Glad to be of help. I've received plenty on this site, myself.

I added a couple things, if I think of anything else, I'll update .

-
Back