'74 Dart Sport Wiring Diagram Problem--HELP!!!

-

Dodge74

Reaction score
Okay, so the man who sold me my car had a wiring short. He told me the car had no issues and no accidents. I decided to take the motor out, so I could paint the engine compartment. I decided while I was at it to check the wiring. Engine compartment wiring seems to be okay but under the dash it has a short that goes to the directional flasher and to the blower motor switch. I can't tell if the blower motor wire or the flasher caused the problem because the plug is not melted. Just the wiring is melted.

Does anyone know of any problems these cars may have had with the blower motor switch or the directional flasher? I have a wiring diagram off the internet, but it doesn't seem to be complete. Does anyone have one for a 74 Dodge Dart Sport?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

You should get yourself a reprint factory manual, either paper or CD, or both. The wiring diagrams for 74 were kind 'o a mess. I can post sections of it by photographing a printed manual I have.

There were no chronic troubles of this specific kind, necessarily, that is, you need to take the problem as a "one off" and chase it down.

This is how I read it.

From the fuse, a no 14 BK feeds over to the heater switch connector,

and branches, runs off as no 14R to the radio power connector,

branches, and runs off as no 18W which branches off to backup lamp switch, (through firewall)

branches and and runs on, no 18 bk, finally, to the turn signal flasher.

So there's a lot of "stuff" on that fuse and what essentially is one wire.

ANY of those items on the windy route could have cause "meltage," the melted area is at the LAST of the run, you can rule out anything before the melt area.

I did chase it down and found that it may be as simple as just replacing some wire.But i would hate to fix it and not know what the problem was and have it go south again.

Any info or pics will be a big help..... Thanks 67Dart273 .......................

-
Back