74 dart steering

-

dartdog74

Reaction score
Hey mopar mafia. Quick question about the steering on my dart. I am looking to firm up the feel of my steering. The car has power steering which feels way to free. Could I disconnect the power steering pump and drive the car manually? Any feedback is welcome.

No. It will be sloppy because the hydraulics affect the "amount of slop" in the box

Google up "pump it down" there used to be an article about restricting the pump pressure to add more "feel" to PS

Hey brothers, decided to up grade to the pst 20:1 box. When taking out the three bolts on steering
box i did not see any nuts on two of the bolts. question, what kind of nut goes on the two bolts attached to the steering box?

no, one bolt threaded into an attached nut on the upper right of the box. the other two bolts did not have any nuts with them upon removal.

Still looking for more feedback on these steering box bolts. My dart was originally a 6 cylinder car now it is an 8. Question, is there any differences in "K" members? The 3 bolts that were attached to the power steering box only had one nut attached to upper right bolt on steering box. The bolts i see for sale on ebay look different than the one that came off my car. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Still looking for more feedback on these steering box bolts. My dart was originally a 6 cylinder car now it is an 8. Question, is there any differences in "K" members? The 3 bolts that were attached to the power steering box only had one nut attached to upper right bolt on steering box. The bolts i see for sale on ebay look different than the one that came off my car. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

The steering mounts on all the K’s were the same. There shouldn’t be any nuts on any of the steering box bolts, the steering box mount has threaded inserts. More than likely one of the inserts broke loose and that’s why one of the bolts had a nut on it.

uuid=1E641804-C311-4AAE-9649-050247873603&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg

i think your right. now the one bolt hole with the nut broke off part of the mount plate. So should i attach a grade 8 nut on all three bolts?

i think your right. now the one bolt hole with the nut broke off part of the mount plate. So should i attach a grade 8 nut on all three bolts?

At least one of those other mounting holes will be pretty difficult to get to the back of. I’d be more inclined to weld a nut to the back of the steering mount to fix the broken one, rather than add nuts to all of them. Add a tack weld to the other threaded inserts if you’re worried about them coming loose in the K.

Thanks, welding would be hard in that area due to rust and grease. I think i can get nuts on all 3 bolts.
Still thinking this one through. Thanks again!

-
Back