'74 Dart V8 swap

-

ALedbetter1

Reaction score
Just bought a 1974 dart with a slant 6. Would like to convert it to either a 318 or 360 since 340s are scarcer than hens teeth and twice as expensive. I'm new to the form and am looking for a list of everything that needs to be changed to do the swap. I don't know if such a list exists, but if it does I sure would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction. If not any and all help would be more than welcome.

K Frame (or conversion mounts your choice but I'd rather have the K Frame), torsion bars (bigger size unless you're racing), Transmission for V8 (auto)/bellhousing for manual, engine of your choice but I'd go with a late 80s/early 90s LA 360 roller block (they can be found in full size trucks and vans), correct kickdown linkage, exhaust system (pipes, manifolds/headers).
Other stuff as well but my brain doesn't wanna work right now.

Thanks! thats the most info Ive been able to find. The car is a console shift automatic, would the linkages and everything match up without too many troubles? Also just a heads up this is dads car, and I mentioned the roller blocks and the motors out of the early 80s pickups because they are everywhere. His problem with them are 1. All the emissions garbage on them and 2. The fact they are tbi on the later blocks and we both want it to be carburated. He thinks the better thing to do is pay 2 grand for a long block from O'reillys. Plus he wants a 318. Im with you on the roller block 360 but I need some backbone for my argument.

you can swap the intake on the motor to a carb intake and if you get an 87-91 roller block it is an LA motor not a magnum motor so intakes are much more plentiful in designs and cheaper than magnum parts which are way different and do not interchange.

And a 360 is miles ahead of a 340 anyway

I must apoligze. I thought the magnum and roller motors where one and the same.(I need to just stick with chevy motors). I say 340 just because thats what dads always wanted. Guess a 1972 duster 340 gave him a good whipping in his 71 ss 454 chevelle back in 73 or 74..... hes wanted one ever since. Yet he ends up with a slant 6 dart..... Makes no sense to me

I must apoligze. I thought the magnum and roller motors where one and the same.(I need to just stick with chevy motors). I say 340 just because thats what dads always wanted. Guess a 1972 duster 340 gave him a good whipping in his 71 ss 454 chevelle back in 73 or 74..... hes wanted one ever since. Yet he ends up with a slant 6 dart..... Makes no sense to me

Foundations the same (both are A bodies) just darts have a longer wheelbase (3" more I believe) but still get the lighter weight of an a body.

I wouldn't pay 2 grand for a long block screw that build it yourself learn more stuff and you a 100% sure of what's going into them. The LA roller blocks were a late 80s/early 90s motor prior to the magnum motor. They came as 318 and 360s just get one out the junkyard. As far as emission goes just swap intake and bolt on some headers or 340 hipo manifolds (I prefer headers use Doug's or TTi). No more emission and with that roller cam it will bring you into the power curve sooner and keep you there longer. I have a fuller roller setup (cam lifters rocker arms) in my 340, worth every damn penny!

-
Back