Torrance00

Reaction score
Hello guys

So my 74 is still giving me trouble.
I am going to replace all the vacuum hoses but have no
diagram or detailed info.
The heat deflector on the snorkle seems to be connected to
the underside of the air cleaner housing, This I dont' understand
and the vacuum comes from the intake. Is this correct?
On the vacumm to the Dist, is the vacuum connector on the side of the cleaner a restricted port for vacuum?
comes from the Carb, passanger side... is this correct.
Does anyone know if that "vacuum valve on the snorkle" is
replaceable, mine does not want to close. What makes it open
if its run off vacumm?
Hope someone can understand what I'm talking about,
Best

The little round one in the breather canister is a temp sensing vacuum switch. It will supply vacuum to the butterfly servo when needed. All these parts become malfunctioning vacuum leaks eventually. I don't know if replacement parts are available today or not.

If you are not concerned with "passing smog" I'd just figure a way to block/ wire the thing for cold snorkle air and leave it be.

thanks for the input.
but can either of you tell me where the vacuum line comes from for that
"snorkle"? If this is a vacuum operated heat diverter, then I would think the
vacuum hose should come from a source that can be shut off when the temp
has been reached...
The 74 is none smog here in LALA land,, thank God
But it takes a long time for this car to warm up, and I know that vacuum advance
is not pulling at low rpm. I'm pulling 21 inches of vacuum at idle, which I
think is very good, but again I know I'm loosing some vacuum on the old
hoses.
best

It's like Red said...........comes from manifold, goes to a thermostat valve under the air cleaner which senses "bonnet" temp, and opens/ closes the vacuum line with temp

This is a shot from the 72 shop manual. Might be hard to see but the hose goes from manifold to thermostat, then to snorkle butterfly

Attachments

• air.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 166
Would the "trap door" vacuum diagram be the same as the dual snorkel diagram? Just run one hose to the trap door and one hose to the snorkel?

Hello
thanks for all the imput
the sensor in the air cleaner is not working.
the thermstatic controller is working
my 74 dart is now running great.
tinkered with it about a week ago, just using a vacuum gauge
and now she runs fine, no pinging or missing.
the sensor in the air cleaner is not available but the same
type is used in other makes, just need to find one.
Best
Dave
PS: thanks for the pics

Take some starter fluid and squirt the top end of the engine down, if it leaks, you'll rev, and know the problem.

Take some starter fluid and squirt the top end of the engine down, if it leaks, you'll rev, and know the problem.

And if it backfires while you are spraying it, you won't need a haircut for a while...

Keep starter fluid away from the exhaust manifolds...

Maybe use some SD-40 to check for leaks...

Question about this topic: I want to make sure my recently installed Air cleaner housing is working properly. How does one verify if the thermostat/sensor is working properly?

My best running engines have always had a great ign advance at the very point of throttle opening from idle. I believe this is the vacuum advance done through the hose at the carb to the diaphragm at the distributor. One of my cars has very little if any movement of the timing mark when the throttle is bumped open. A vacuum gage shows the vacuum is there, but doesn't move the spark to advance.
Does this mean the diaphragm in the distributor is shot? Any troubleshooting to be done to eliminate other problems?
Thanks

-
Back