74 Dart Yellow Wire causing loss of Blower Motor and Radio?

-

Duster7286

Reaction score
74DartB.jpg
I just finished installing A new stereo and triple set of gages in my 74 dart swinger. I ran the 12v pos. To the original radio connector, the gauges and radio work however I noticed an intermitent loss of power to the blower motor and radio/gauges... my troubleshooting lead me to check the wires in the Ignition Switch and I found that the yellow wire has a loose connection. I have alreay bypasssed the connector to splice the red wires together. I assume splicing the yellows may solve my problem, but Looking at the wiring diagram which I admit I cannot completely understand I don't see how that yellow wire would have a connection to the blower motor or radio. Am I missing something??

On the original radio connector the red is the power and the orange is the light, no yellow.

Alan

On the original radio connector the red is the power and the orange is the light, no yellow.

Alan
I have add on gauge lights wired to orange, and the radio 12v power/gauge 12v power to the red. Everything works...but seems that if the underdash harness is repositioned I lose power to both the radio and the blower motor. I turned everything on and began tapping on ignition switch connector-- power went out. Began touching individual wire and it seemed there is a lose connection with the yellow wire from ignition switch connector.... I dont understand how they would be related...so most likely Im wrong but would that make any sense?

I believe that yellow wire is the starter lead (starter relay) the one that starts the car.

Alan

The black wire in the cavity right next to the yellow wire is the one that sends current to your radio/heater switch fuse. Check the connection of the black wire.

If you are talking about the yellow AT the ignition switch this is the "start" wire, it goes through the bulkhead connector and out to the reset box for the seatbelt interlock and then to the starter relay

-
Back