'74 Duster bow style headliner conversion

-

cascius

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear from anyone who has actually done this conversion. I've got a '74 Duster that needs a new headliner and I'd like to put the bow style in it. I have seen that Classic Industries sells the conversion kit for the A-bodies so I gave them a call. I was mainly curious as to how they attached in the front and rear since there are no spikes behind the windshield and rear window rubber to hook the headliner to. They ended up calling the vendor and was told by the vendor that they just use contact cement around the window and windshield and that you didn't have to pull the glass to install their product. My main concern was how well is this going to hold? I know that headliners have to be pulled tight and didn't know how that would be possible while trying to glue it in. Just trying to see if anyone has any first hand experience with one of these or not. Thanks FABO.

I gave up and called it an expensive mistake. Called Stock Interiors and ordered a panel type.

I've been thinking about this too. My car came with a bow style head liner and I can't find anyone that wants to touch it.

If it came with a bow type then it is really not hard. Pay attention to how the old one is installed then just run the wire bows thru the sleeves in the new headliner. The conversion kits are a GM style whereby the bows are a 2 part system and you have nothing to work from installing the new ones.

If I remember right, the mounting indents in the halo are there, but the holes are not, this project seems like a ginormous waste of time. My vote is grab a abs plastic headliner and call it a day, they look better anyway.

-
Back