74 Duster Factory Hood Scoop

-

Darter6

Reaction score
Anyone running a factory fresh air hood scoop in stock class ? The car is a 74 360 G/SA and we were thinking of running a scoop. Anyone have any photos ? Did the factory seal them to the air cleaner? I can't remember, Didn't have any luck finding any photos other than cars with the scoop hood closed. Thanks.

Anyone running a factory fresh air hood scoop in stock class ? The car is a 74 360 G/SA and we were thinking of running a scoop. Anyone have any photos ? Did the factory seal them to the air cleaner? I can't remember, Didn't have any luck finding any photos other than cars with the scoop hood closed. Thanks.

i'm gonna be honest here, and I'm sure many folks are gonna disagree. however, the truth is the truth.

technically NHRA and IHRA should not allow a fresh air scoop on a duster, but they do. a fresh air scoop was never put on a duster from the factory. as a matter of fact, the double snorkel scoop was only on Dodge Dart Sport models, and maybe Demons. not sure on the Demons.

someone long ago got Chrysler to write a letter to the sanctions saying that it was offered on dusters, and they then were allowed. thats the honest truth.

now, being that they do allow it......on with your question. as far as I remember the scoop was never sealed to the air cleaner. I'm assuming that you are talking about the double snorkel scoop.

I agree. The scoop was only available on 72 Demons and 73 Dart Sports. Some say 74 Dart Sport also but I'm not 100% sure.

No 340 Duster ever had hood scoops. Only Duster Twisters.

I agree. The scoop was only available on 72 Demons and 73 Dart Sports. Some say 74 Dart Sport also but I'm not 100% sure.

No 340 Duster ever had hood scoops. Only Duster Twisters.

thats right. my dad had a 71 Twister that he bought new. it had the 2 single scoops that sit on each side of the hood, and they had no hole underneath. as a matter of fact air couldn't even go in the scoops because the bezels are solid and their is no hole.

71 Twister used the same scoops as a 70 Dart. They should be open as far as I know. Im not sure about holes in the hood though.

Ive read that some Demon/Dart Sports didnt have holes in the hood either

Attachments

• 1232.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 424
71 Twister used the same scoops as a 70 Dart. They should be open as far as I know. Im not sure about holes in the hood though.

Ive read that some Demon/Dart Sports didnt have holes in the hood either

yeah, thats the scoops that dads had. his had bezels on them that were chrome trim around the edge and they were inset into the scoop. the inset part was black and had 2 black screws in them that fastened them to tabs made into the inside of the scoop.

Yes they had them on Super Bees too. Ive just never seen them blocked off at the opening

I've never seen A-Body scoops that were blocked off :scratch:

The scoops in the link posted look like they're open w/ shadows making them look like they're blocked off....??

there were never block off plates that went in front of those scoops from the factory.

I will stand by that until someone can show me a part number or some kind of factory literature.

I've never seen A-Body scoops that were blocked off :scratch:

The scoops in the link posted look like they're open w/ shadows making them look like they're blocked off....??

well crap, now you have me wondering if I'm recalling correctly. maybe the inset part didn't go all the way down to the hood? I know for fact that they screwed into tabs made into the roof of the scoops. I will call dad and ask him what the deal with them was.

attachment.php

Darter6, this is the factory holes that came in the hoods with the double snorkel hood scoops. they are 4 inches in diameter and DID NOT have a fresh air seal made into the air cleaner. they only had seals that went around the edge of the holes, and had lips that stuck up so rain would not blow into the holes.

this is the seals. I think year one has them.

that should be what will be legal if you use the scoop on the duster.

dad set me straight on the bezels. he said they were indeed open and not fully closed off. he said I was thinking about the ones on a 67 GTX. I found the ones he had. here they are. only difference is that the edges of his were chrome. sorry for causing any confusion.

Thanks to all, 71gtdart, the photo in post #13 is what we are looking at doing. I didn't think that they ever sealed to the air cleaner on A bodies ,Thanks guys for the info.

a fresh air scoop was never put on a duster from the factory

Correct. I gather that the '71 and '72 Demons had 2 different type scoops..the darts had the two individual scoops..

Ours is off a '72 Demon..

71 Demon used the twin separate scoops

72 Demons used the snorkel scoop.

I have these on my dart,look at my profile picture ,im looking for six pac hood does anyone know where I can find ,for 1970 dart ,tim

timmy, Did you try Sled City Fiberglass ? AAR Fiberglass ? They should have it.

-
Back