-
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreysoltes

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I am a newbie to this just purchased a 74 duster and have no dash lights at all, checked bulbs, fuses, grounds then discovered several melted wires coming off the fire wall in a cluster of 3 connectors. The damage all happened on the middle connector and under the dash. I want to replace that section or harness but can not locate it anywhere. Anyone have a used one they would be interested in selling or be able to tell me part number and where to get a new one? I really want one that is made for the car so no special wiring needs to be done. Thanks!!

Before you put in another harness, determine what caused the connector to fry. When I rebuilt my 75 Swinger, I removed all of the fire wall connectors: checked and cleaned them. both sides. Found lots of normal rust, corrosion, pinched wires. Non were shorted. Realize everything is nearly 50 years old.
I have all the harnesses from my 74 Scamp parts car.

Before buying another 74 harness, there is one thing you need to know,that is the first year that they came out with an interlocking seat belt module. It an ivory colored box with 2 plugs, next to fuse box, in wiring harness, if yours is bad ,or someone tried cutting it out without rewiring, you lose 11 different functions, from turn signals,flashers,parking lights,dash lights, radio, glove box light and some i don't remember. On ebay they sell those modules for around $125, if you see a green one, its from Canada, they didn't have mandatory seat belt laws, so the green one is a bypass module, and if you see an orange one, its from cars that went to venzeula , it also bypasses,Mopar realized these modules were a problem and quit putting them on in 1975,also on the fender well next to where the washer reservoir there is a reset button with 3 yellow wires , one has a black tracer on the wire that you have to rewire around, if you look at the gauge cluster on the round connector, you will see double wires going to cluster to each pin. I had one on my 74 duster ,and the module was white with corrosion and i worked for 3 months trying to remove module and get car to start, no luck, finally went to junk yard ,found a 1971 dart, pulled all wiring under hood and under dash, $60, put it on car ,had a few connectors like to heater that i had to replace ,but it started ok,you will have to download a 74 schematic, i found a few changes in pin arrangement ,and downloaded the 71 schematic to rewire. All that being said, if your module is good you can just unplug the connector under the seat , passenger side as well, and rewire the reset button on fender well ,then you can get by, but unplug the ivory module and look at the pins to see if they are corroded, if so, good luck, hope this helps you

Last edited:
Before you put in another harness, determine what caused the connector to fry. When I rebuilt my 75 Swinger, I removed all of the fire wall connectors: checked and cleaned them. both sides. Found lots of normal rust, corrosion, pinched wires. Non were shorted. Realize everything is nearly 50 years old.
I have all the harnesses from my 74 Scamp parts car.
Will it fit? and are you willing to sell it? if so how much?

R F is right in every aspect. I found a factory manual on Ebay and used it for everything on my rebuild. After looking at the "seat belt safety interlock system" I decided to cut all of it out, a two week affair. If you can locate factory manual, get it.
Good luck.

Before buying another 74 harness, there is one thing you need to know,that is the first year that they came out with an interlocking seat belt module. It an ivory colored box with 2 plugs, next to fuse box, in wiring harness, if yours is bad ,or someone tried cutting it out without rewiring, you lose 11 different functions, from turn signals,flashers,parking lights,dash lights, radio, glove box light and some i don't remember. On ebay they sell those modules for around $125, if you see a green one, its from Canada, they didn't have mandatory seat belt laws, so the green one is a bypass module, and if you see an orange one, its from cars that went to venzeula , it also bypasses,Mopar realized these modules were a problem and quit putting them on in 1975,also on the fender well next to where the washer reservoir there is a reset button with 3 yellow wires , one has a black tracer on the wire that you have to rewire around, if you look at the gauge cluster on the round connector, you will see double wires going to cluster to each pin. I had one on my 74 duster ,and the module was white with corrosion and i worked for 3 months trying to remove module and get car to start, no luck, finally went to junk yard ,found a 1971 dart, pulled all wiring under hood and under dash, $60, put it on car ,had a few connectors like to heater that i had to replace ,but it started ok,you will have to download a 74 schematic, i found a few changes in pin arrangement ,and downloaded the 71 schematic to rewire. All that being said, if your module is good you can just unplug the connector under the seat , passenger side as well, and rewire the reset button on fender well ,then you can get by, but unplug the ivory module and look at the pins to see if they are corroded, if so, good luck, hope this helps you
Thank you that helps a lot!

Hey nieghbor. I'm glad my car is gutted. It will be rewired as a pre 1974. Plenty of OE style harness manfacturers out there.

Classic Industries, Year One, etc. Search it on Google and on here. A lot of info out there on a body wiring harnesses.

Your computer should melt if you Google 1973 Plymouth Duster wiring harness. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back