74 duster heater problem!!! PLZ HELP!!!!

-

BigStrok3

Mopar!
Reaction score
So the heater on my duster only blows on low speed. Is there any kind of relay that this is ran off of or do you know how to fix this or where the relay might be if there is one? Im stumped on this problem and I would relly like to get this fixed asap. Thanks fabo!

either the switch or maybe the resistor on the heater plenum. im with joe, its probably the switch.

The actual dash fan switches they used on these were problematic when faced with overheating, and sometimes just quit from tired contacts....they also have a tendency to burn out, but if you have low speed, chances are the contacts are just old and tired......it would be a good bet to remove the switch by removing the center dash panel (if you have a center panel....some don't.....if you don't, the center control bezel comes out with the switch and all.......not too bad a job........

If you have a center trim panel (I'm assuming your '74 is like the 72's) there are 2 threaded studs attached to the backside of it that go through the steel dash.....go in through the ashtray/radio area and remove the nuts, then remove the panel after unplugging the switches and controls.

It's a pain, but you can save a bundle if you do it yourself. You can probably find a new switch on Ebay, or if you're lucky, at an old Chrysler dealer.

:coffee2:

I can try to explain how it works. Highest fan speed is full battery voltage. A less than high reqires current passing through a resistor. Lowest speed requires current passing through all available or supplied resistors. These resistors get very hot so the engineers placed them inside the air plenum.
Look beneath the glovebox for a electrical connecter with 4 (?) wires on a small circuit board mounted to the plenum with 2 screws. A visual inspection is all thats needed. If one of the coil like resistors id broken you'll see it.
Then again if low speed works all the resistors are good and the fault is somewhere else. Back to the switch :(
Good luck

-
Back