74 Duster "look what the new owner is doing to it now"

-
Well, nothing that you can see. I did have to replace the windshield wiper pivot seals and gaskets. I also replaced the defroster vents in the dash since I was there. Found a good set at Nats for $10 so I snatched them up. Those things were going for $25 ea $10 a pair was a steal. Water was pouring in from the wiper pivots on the new carpet and I couldn't have that. Did buy a radio to install and will get that done in the future also. I'll try to post pics!

I had PM'd you that we did replace the wiper pivot seals. Musta jacked that all up. Sorry. :-(

You didn't like our gatorade bottle fix on the defrost vents?

You're so picky! :)

Well,
There has been progress on the Duster in spite of negligence to post anything on this thread (or any thread lately).
Last night I got a good head of steam and got a ton of work done.
To bring everyone up to speed, here's the details. This past spring I had decided to send the car to paint. Spoke to a painter and made arrangements to drop the car off. Prior to that, I scheduled the car to have the windows tinted.
I saw Keagan's windows and I really liked the look. So I get the car back, very happy with the window tint. Did some other work to the car, was able to find a proper choke, flushed the coolant system completely and was able to finally get the chunks out of the heater core (I do mean chunks).
Happy with everything, the day the car was to go to paint, I took off to head to the paint shop.
About 15 miles into my trip I hear a rattle, WTH? The rattle becomes a knock and suddenly became a pound. Next thing I know the engine quit and that was that. I check the oil thinking I did something wrong during the LOF, nope, plenty of oil. Plenty of other fluids. WTF!!! Decide the oil pump shaft sheared.
Call my friend with the wrecker, he comes to pick me up and back to the house we go.
I start networking with friends to find another /6 because I figure mine is toast.
A friend of a friend calls me and says he has one that's running and ready to go. $50 come get it, I'm doing him a favor by taking it. OK, deal!
I look it over, not bad, it turns over, has some leaky gaskets, but it is 40 years old, I leak to!
Get it home and decide I'm not going to have another oil pump take a crap, so I'm replacing that, might as well buy a gasket kit and seal this thing up while I have it out, I'll be damned if I'll have a fuel pump go bad, for no more than what they cost.........
Well, before I know it, I'm down to a short block. I'm in the shop trying to replace the rope seal on the rear main when the next step happened. The crank came out, along with all the pistons and the cam and lifters. At this point, what's another $300!#-o
The summit packages finally arrive and last night I had serious head of steam!
I started with a bare block at 6:00pm and by 10:00pm I had a long block! :cheers:
Don't mind telling you, I'm real happy I replaced the rings. The old ones were brittle as glass. That thing would have smoked like a chimney soon if I hadn't replaced those.
Got a friend that says he can have a /6 in and out in 2 hours, so I'm going to put him to the test. If things go well this weekend, I'd love to get this car back on the road and I'd really love to take it to Norwalk!

Attachments

• IMG_20150520_130556.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20150824_205159.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20150824_181916.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20150824_181821.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20150816_144432.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20150816_144414.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20150530_201947.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20150530_201750.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20150520_130608.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 218
Very cool! Sorry about the oil pump, but it's a good opportunity for an upgrade. Glad you kept the 6 in her. Did you mill the head for a little more compression while you were at it or change the cam specs?
You got the paint to shine up really well.
Chase is waiting whenever you're ready to send Stella back to him. 😉
Thanks for the update!

I replaced the old pump with a high volume, and yes, the head did have some mild work done.
Finished the assembly this evening, now for the real work, pulling the old motor and getting the new one in.
I have some friends who want to help me out, so with some good luck and good help, I hope to have the Duster back on the road by Labor Day.
As for your boy, he better start saving his nickels! :burnout:

Attachments

• IMG_20150825_203705.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20150825_203652.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 158
This is a way,way overdue update.
A huge chunk of life got into the way and I just failed to post.
To bring everyone up to speed, the last I posted we were ready to drop a rebuilt /6 into the Duster. I had suspected that the oil pump drive had sheared, that would be a big NOPE! Got the old /6 out, we're looking things over and WTF!!! The rear of the cam is hanging out of the back of the block. The original /6 is destroyed. I really was hoping to salvage the block, but that just wasn't to be.
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

You can see that the block is busted. The cam broke in 3 places. To much damage both externally and internally to save the block.
IMG_0121.JPG

The back of the cam just fell to the floor once the torque converter and flex plate was removed.
IMG_0156.JPG

Rebuilt /6 going down into the car.
I do have a video of the engine's first start. To much to try and post here.
Since then, I've probably put 700 miles give or take on the rebuild. I did perform a LOF around 500 miles. We've also developed a exhaust leak at the manifold, nothing serious, but I hear it and it makes me crazy.
A few weeks back I noticed a small green puddle in the floor board. So..........
this past week I replaced the heater core. Got to admit I was apprehensive of that project, but it turned out to be a easier repair than the wiper pivot seal replacement.
Figured since I have the glove box out, I'd finally do something about the radio that doesn't work.
I pulled the radio, there was something rattling in there and the wires are gone. Yep, that aint going to work.
I had an aftermarket radio I thought would work out, but it's to big. Back to the drawing board on that.
I still haven't gotten the car painted yet. Can't seem to get ahead in the $ department. It will happen though. Keeping custody of my grand daughter has proven expensive as every time I turn around, I'm back in court. But, tomorrow is another day! Hopefully I'll not neglect this thread.
BTW, here are some pics of the window tint!
IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

What you see is how the car looks right now. The pics don't really do it justice. It looks a lot better in person.

Nice color... I think this is the same original color as mine... Burnt Sienna Metallic?

Nice color... I think this is the same original color as mine... Burnt Sienna Metallic?
Yep, T5 Sienna.
It's not brown or gold and just different enough that it's cool. I got to get the stripes back on. Maybe after X-mas when the bills are paid! :)

Well, I kinda forgot this thread. I haven't done a ton to the car since the last post, but I have done something.
1st, the exhaust leak has been resolved. A quick swap of a flange gasket and problem solved. But not before the leak sooted the side of my shiny painted block. Oh well.
2nd and most importantly, I rebuilt the front suspension on the thing. The ball joints and bushings were shot! I also added a swaybar! man, is that a huge improvement in ride quality. Got a Heller kit from Summit, went right on no issues!
Of course, just like the engine rebuild, that project snowballed. The pics don't show it, but as I was putting the thing back together, I noticed that the left caliper was sticking. Long story short, I wound up replacing both calipers, pads, brake hoses, wheel bearings and seals.
While it was on the lift, an annoying trans leak annoyed me even more. So that lead to a selector shaft seal replaced.
I did the front brakes, might as well check the rear since it was in the air, right? Glad I did, too. The shoes were fine, I don't know who was in there last, but the self adjusters weren't doing a thing. The cables were present, but not hooked up. So, now that's fixed.
I was happy to see the axle seals weren't leaking, but that got me to thinking about axle lube. You guessed it, the axle lube was black, so that was changed out too.
The bill for this little exercise wasn't to hateful. Some of the parts I had in my stash, but I figure I'm $300 poorer after the dust settles.
I took the pics after the sway bar install, I wish I had gotten pics of the rear self adjusters and how the cables were set up. But thoughts are like trains, not always on time!
But thanks @robsimmons for helping me revive this thread.
BTW, I still don't have the damn stripes on yet!

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

Hmmm,... It had to have been me and Chase that jacked up the rear brakes then. I seem to remember replacing the drums and maybe shoes. Was everything in the right place and just the cables not connected right, or...?
I let Chase do it, but would have been looking over his shoulder the whole time I’m sure. Blame that on me. Sorry.
I hadn’t seen the pics of the broken camshaft before. That is crazy! I don’t think we did that one....
Are you still hoping to make it to Clay City in September?
It looks like I definitely owe you lunch!

Hmmm,... It had to have been me and Chase that jacked up the rear brakes then. I seem to remember replacing the drums and maybe shoes. Was everything in the right place and just the cables not connected right, or...?
I let Chase do it, but would have been looking over his shoulder the whole time I’m sure. Blame that on me. Sorry.
I hadn’t seen the pics of the broken camshaft before. That is crazy! I don’t think we did that one....
Are you still hoping to make it to Clay City in September?
It looks like I definitely owe you lunch!
The adjuster cables were attached, just not in their guides. So, they weren't doing anything. The shoes had a lot of meat left on them, and the fact the cables weren't right, told me someone had been into them. No biggie, I was happy I didn't have to replace the shoes or wheel cylinders. All part of owning an old car! :)
I've found out that Mopar had a run of bad cams for the slants. This one held up pretty good all things considered. It was going to happen, just that day was it. Be glad it wasn't during your trip back from California with it.
But as of right now, I'm planning on driving the Duster down to Clay City.

That’s awesome! I’ll let Chase know. He graduates college in a couple weeks, so I hope he will be able to be there. It all depends on that whole “life after college” thing.

He just got selected for a Marine Corps OCS program this summer, so we will see...

Last edited:
-
Back