74 Duster "My Way"

-

02sixxer

Reaction score
OK....
Where to start, I have owned my 74 Duster since March of this year. Originally it was a 318 Duster, nothing to fancy. Now it is a Big Block Duster powered by a 1970 383 with 915 heads, a .509 cam, Team G intake, MSD Ignition System, Pro Billet Distributor, and a Demon 850 Carb. Upon buying the car it had the majority of the body work done with new Quater Panels, front Fenders from a 71 Duster, primed ans sprayed with a guide coat. The front viellance did have tworust holes that needed to be welded, the engine bay had went through a chop job to take the fenderwell headers. The dash is aluminum with no gauges, the seats have been taken out and rplaced with rack buckets that are pretty much shredded, and the rear was missing the seat and replace with aluminum.

the engine is hooked to a 727 tranny. There were sub frame connectors already welded in place. The original rear was removed and replaced with a ford 9" with 3.89 posi. Overall the car was in great condition to start a overhall, but My Way.

The plans for car is to customize it as much as I can some thing will be done quickly other will take more time due to funds. I have been working on the car since march and just now starting the threat to keep as my jornal.

The Body: Block sand, get it straight, primer seal it, paint it. Paint it with Viper Blue, trim it with Black and black hood, then split the black with Viper silver. Custom touch on the back of the Got Pits? logo (This touch is for my love for the breed and I own LittleGiantKennels.com) If you dont cant imagine the paint scheme stay tuned because the photos will be posted soon. The car is at the paint shop in Longwood, Florida. American Classic Auto Paint and Designs owned by Steve, he's great and has done me well.

The Engine: Well I have thrown around a lot of Ideas. But what I have settle with for now is to rebuild the 383 ensure I can have it on 93 octane pump fuel. It ran strong and had a great tone so, I wont mess with it, yet! Future will be a 440 stroked to a 512 but first things first I want a car to drive around while I build it.

The Interior: this will be my style: I plan to remove the current bucket seats, add new leather seats from a modern dodge. Match the rears with custom made buckets (yes buckets) and make a custom center console. Cut the dash to add gauges and a in dash DVD, stereo. Add speaker in the door, the rear, and trunk. As I go, I have several thing in my head I want to see if I can make work.

The Engine bay: I chose not to mess with it for now. There has been a lot of cutting and it was poorly done. I plan on cutting the rest of the tire wells out and replacing them with aluminum. I will spend some time making the firewall look more presentable in the future and then fabbing a cover for all the wires.

The trunk.: I am going to make a custom speaker box, mini tub, and remove the spare tire rack. I have not decide if I am going to keep the stock tank or put one in the trunk.

well thats enough talk for now here some pics.

Questions and ideas are wanted.

PASSENGERSIDEFRONT.jpg

74 Duster (I removed the front and never took pics before)

DRIVERSSIDE.jpg

FRONTDRIVERSSIDE.jpg

enginebay.jpg

Engine bay

this is the start

I pulled the engine, removed every thing from the engine bay. I powder coated the water pump, radiator mounts, alternator, timing cover, Intake, master cylinder and brackets. It realy renewed the items.

powdercoat1.jpg

box of things to be powdercoated

powdercoat2.jpg

more stuff to be powder coated

powdercoat3.jpg

Another view

well I tried to add the photos of the powdercoated pieces but it wont let me. So I will move on.

Well I pulled the engine, I cleaded it first, which was needed. It took about 6 times with steel brushes, rags, and a tooth brush. I used Purple Power, Dawn Dish Soap, and Simple Green. Once it was clean I cleaned it again. I then sanded it, primed it, painted it, and then cleared it. I did paint with Hemi Orange using Dupli Color.

When I tooke the oil pump of the car I was surprised to see that the shaft was broken off inside the enging so I bought a Melling High Volume pump to rplace it. Painted it silver. I am going paint the outside head bolts Silver also to give it a little more color and to break up all the orange.

Enginepullresized.jpg

Pulling the engine

Enginebefore2.jpg

Got it on the stand

EngineBefore1.jpg

Engineafterfirstcleaning.jpg

cleaning the engine

EnginePrimed.jpg

Priming it

Engineprimed2.jpg

more primer

EnginePaintedandCleared3.jpg

Little bit of mopar orange

Enginepaintedandcleared.jpg

More Mopar Orange with with Clear

Enginepaintedandcleared2.jpg

these a few days after clearing, I was happy with how they came out.

Paint2.jpg

Well here is the car coming out of the booth the first time. it still has not been cut and polished. The bumpers, hood and other body peices still havent been painted. I should have it back after Thanksgiving.

Paint4.jpg

Little bit of pearl

Paint7.jpg

whats that on the rear of the car?

Paint5.jpg

Thats the Pit Bull Head

Paint6.jpg

Paint1.jpg

the silver splitting the black.

Looking like a good start so far dude! Good luck! I'd just patch up around the pipes alittle and thats all on the engine bay, it looks pretty good otherwise!!

Looking like a good start so far dude! Good luck! I'd just patch up around the pipes alittle and thats all on the engine bay, it looks pretty good otherwise!!

Yeah, I ll have to get a close up. It actually has about 25 extra holes drilled into it. I think it just looks like crap. want to make it look nice where i am not embarrassed to raise the hood

That paint job is nice! Like the colors and the pearl in it. I'm thinking of a similar paint scheme, but with burnt orange in place of the blue and reversing the black and silver.

wow that looks awesome!!! i love the blue and the paint scheme.

Ok here is the after on the powdercoated parts, I was highly impressed with the difference. I had them sandblasted then powdercoated, and all the parts you see were done for $150. I thought it was well priced.

Powdercoat4.jpg

Intake

Powdercoat5.jpg

Timing Cover

Powdercoat6.jpg

Water Pump

Powdercoat7.jpg

Master Cylinder, 4 Radiator brackets, 3 motor brackets, and alternator casing.

Later I will post some pics of the radiator. I spent alot of time cleaning it. Its not perfect but better than it was.

I love the paint job man....I might have to steal your idea :-D just kidding but man that is one sharp car. Keep it up

wow I love this build. Great work its amazing what we are all capable of.

nice build. like the color of the car and the big 383 with 915 heads.really think its cool when someone makes a a-body into a big block a-body car.

I got some new stuff..........................

newshifter.jpg

newshifter1.jpg

B&M megashifter picked this up Brand New at a swap meet. $50 cant beat that

nice build. like the color of the car and the big 383 with 915 heads.really think its cool when someone makes a a-body into a big block a-body car.

yeah the hardest part had been trying to find the headers I want to run. 383 and 400's are really limited as to the headers that can be ran in the a-bodies.

Its either Schumacher Tri-Y's or the 1 3/4 inch TTi's. I want bigger so I might by the TTi's 2" and cut on them to get em to fit.

That paint job is nice! Like the colors and the pearl in it. I'm thinking of a similar paint scheme, but with burnt orange in place of the blue and reversing the black and silver.

Yeah I had a few ideas for the paint scheme. I t was hard to decide between this and painting the bottom black, the top silver and splitting it with a sublime green line. I am very happy with how it came out. Cant wait to see it finished. The fiberglass bumpers will be painted silver. I am anxious to see how that looks.

-
Back