'74 Duster Rebuild

-

Ashley P

Reaction score
I purchased this '74 Duster from a guy who purchased it from a friend's father. He really wanted to complete it, but was spread too thin and had other projects that needed attention, so he sold the car to me.He wanted to rebuild it but other projects took precedent and he needed to sell it to a good home. After several weeks of searching through Craigslist, I found this car for sale and by the following weekend, I purchased it. Now that our little one is almost 16 months old and is taking longer naps and going to bed at a decent hour, we can finally get the rebuild started! So excited to start and share the process....I know it may be difficult, but I'm ready!! I will add in here as the project unfolds. The first few photos are of us getting the engine out--that took some interesting maneuvering for sure...

We purchased in August 2019 and are just now starting the process of taking the engine out to see it's condition. So far, it looks to be accurately described by the previous owner--a new engine, never been fired. I purchased a bunch of items when we first got the car, but nothing since August...really excited to get back into learning and working on my own classic car. I will update this as I go along in case anyone is interested. Until then...

*Originally placed in Photo Garages

Duster1.jpg

Duster2.jpg

Duster3.jpg

Duster4.jpg

What engine? Car looks nice. Not a fan of hemi orange?

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I see one thing you need to do before you put the motor back in, and you may already know about it. See the holes underneath each exhaust port? If whoever built the motor didn't tap those holes and screw a pipe plug into them.....you need to! I think it's a 1/4 inch pipe plug you need, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Those holes were air bleed holes, or something like that for the smog equipment on the vehicle they came out of. If you don't plug them, you will have an exhaust leak from hell when you start your motor! Nice looking Duster, so keep up the good work. :)

Looks awesome! I see one thing you need to do before you put the motor back in, and you may already know about it. See the holes underneath each exhaust port? If whoever built the motor didn't tap those holes and screw a pipe plug into them.....you need to! I think it's a 1/4 inch pipe plug you need, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Those holes were air bleed holes, or something like that for the smog equipment on the vehicle they came out of. If you don't plug them, you will have an exhaust leak from hell when you start your motor! Nice looking Duster, so keep up the good work. :)

We bought a set of plugs, thanks for the comment :)

-
Back