Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Custom!

Votes: 47 73.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

zfriedbauer

Reaction score
Hey everyone! my names Zack and im starting a restoration on my 1974 Gold Duster. I got it for 500 bucks, a STEAL for its condition. Want to replicate a car i saw for sale and really like! To start, the engine is the best engine in the world, the slant 6! The engine was knocking and it turned out the #3 rod bearing was shot. i tore the engine down for my high school senior graduation project (i should post my presentation on here!) Anyhow ill post some Pics.

as you can see i gutted the interior. the stereo area was ground out by the previous owner so ill have to put in a new system. the bezel was removed also (no idea why!)
There is a pic of the back of the car. no damage here. the interior parts and engine parts that werent heavy, (bottles and hoses and etc.) were put in there where i wouldnt lose them. There is rust in the rear panels as pictured. not extremely bad but hard to fix. Patch panels? anyways the previous owner sprayed black spray paint on the rust! again no idea why! The rims pictured are the rims that came with the car. i REALLY want ralleye wheels but i cant afford those. Trade anyone :) They are a discontinued Ultra wheel with no road time at all since they were put on. The steering wheel came with the car as well. i HATE this wheel. its getting replaced with the one in the valiant im parting out. Will probably sell or trade this as well. Im a huge fan of Rock and Roll (The cars theme song is ("The Stroke") and Swing era jazz. The speakers that will go back here will be the best i can afford or find. There will be kick panels in front, two speakers in the back window as pictured, and i would love a small sub in the trunk above the fuel tank or behind the back seat. One picture is a sample of my interior. its called Caravan tan and i found repro fabric and vinyl for these seats. they look good here but they are really easy to tear due to age. the front seat behind this one is shot. it will need all new foam and covering. on top of this seat is my headliner board which is intact. i will either reuse this or use it as a template to make another. My engine was torn down and was all stacked on the hood just how it is pictured, all cluttered n there. Been ahwile since i tore it down. waiting on some income to continue that... the engine is getting converted to a super six setup, thanks to some other guys on this forum. ( memike, slotto, sej22 ) id love to get it done for better performance but i doubt i can really afford that right now. i also want to get an old style valve cover, the one i have is pretty dented up. the previous owner twisted it too. so it leaks a bit. Slant gets bolted to a 3 speed manual! no Automatic in my shop! lol Super turbo muffler for good sound with no drone over 40! Picked that Bezel up at Bargain town in moses lake WA where i live! matches my other one. the paint is flaking out but im thinking that might look cool if flake off the rest and make it chrome. could paint it too. Decisions decisions... The fan in the pic below is the fan the duster came with but theres also a 5 bladed one in the trunk. anyone know which one is better? i figure around here where it gets up too 115 degrees a bigger fan would be good... Also picked up a shift knob that says Duster on it at bargain town. its not original to this car but im gonna adapt it. the original is a #3 pool ball. not kidding. Also below
is the original grille for the car. im actually considering selling it. i love stock, but the one from my valiant parts car looks better to me. It Looks alot sharper with the emblem and it doesnt look so cluttered. opinions on this anyone? Matching door panels that also need redone. they look good but they are really week and fragile to the touch.
The last pic is the original build sheet. theres a dillema on this. do i rebuild this car all stock? is it worth more? or do i build it how i want it and enjoy it a bit more? Anyways here is my project. feedback always welcome!

Attachments

• image_18.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 635
  • image_39.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 640
  • image_38.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 636
  • image_33.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 629
  • image_32.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 621
  • image_31.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 635
  • image_24.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 633
  • image_21.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 637
  • image_20.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 642
  • image_19.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 631
Dont see your pics, but a slant 6 duster is one of those cars you can do however you wish....don't get caught up in "what it will be worth" You'll never get out of it what you put into it either way...so build it YOUR way. My 2 centavos. Good luck!

Looks like we need to figure out how to load pictures :glasses7: let me find the help thread and point you to it so we can see this new restoration thread :cheers:

I got a pm from zfriedbauer about my valve cover, if I still had it and he needed a shipping quote :color: I said if he started a restoration thread on his car I would give him my good old style valve cover for shipping :glasses7: (pay it forward) to a new member and younggun to this great site :color: So lets get this young man (18 years old) started :glasses7:

Ok i figured this out. downloading pics off my email. my ipad ive been using doesnt have that upload photos button. however, the family desktop DOES!

Ok got a bunch of those pics on there! hopefully you all can see them! ill continue to post pictures that i missed and of my progress. i would love to show you all my senior project presentation on a slant 6 engine failure diagnosis after friday of next week! Thanks for the thread Link memike!

My wife's first car was a maroon "silver duster" with the similar style interior and slant six. Rust ate hers - but it was a great car and I wish we still had it. Good luck with your resuscitation and keep posting the pictures so We can follow with you.

Looking great, and happy you figured things out :cheers:

I will get the Valve cover boxed up and ready to ship out as soon as I can :glasses7:
And any other part I might be able to throw in there you may need :color:
I will bring that for sale thread to the top and mark it sold zfriedbauer :coffee2:

Have fun with it build what you want. Mine is a real 383 formula S car now sporting a Hemi, mini tubbed with a Dana, they are just cars. If you have a good solid platform take advantage of it and make it your own, and then enjoy the ride.

Had another member get back to me about some engine parts. The engine would need to be bored a bit more but if the price is right that's ok with me. Still looking at some cam stuff. Either regrind, go hotter, or replace stock. I really want a bit more cam though! Will post more pics tonight. The ones I couldn't post yesterday and the picture of what I want it to look like!

build it the way YOU want it. It's yours and you most likely have ideas in your head that got your juices flowen when you made the purchase, so I would go with that and enjoy driving what you invisioned. You almost never get what you put into them so enjoy what you have and make it yours and only yours. A one of a kind. Now post some pictures and get to work. Were all watching! L.O.L

:happy1::happy1::happy1::coffee2::coffee2::burnout:

Hey y'all! i got the picture of the car im tryin to replicate (sort of..) it wil appear stock. super 6 under the hood. same color as the one pictured, spinnker white and a brown stripe. new gold duster stickers. i want the ralleye wheels but im growing attached the ones i have. <3 same interior as it has. i found both repro seat fabric and that sick-@$$ snakeskin top!

Attachments

• Snake car.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 466
I love these dusters very cool Zack with it being a slant I would do it to your tastes and enjoy the car. That's what this hobby is all about.

Just got word from my dad, (his garage is where my duster is at) that someone broke in last night by prying up the garage door and they stole the following: My brand new fender, my whole wiring harness, my radiator, and a bunch of my cheap tools. While im guessing this was meth heads, please keep an eye out on this forum for anyone selling the stuff. My harness was replaced with patterned aviation wire, because im colorblind, also the fender is black with a white arrow painted on it. radiator is spray painted silver but its a generic one with a tranny cooler out of an automatic car. gonna post this in a thread. Thanks guys, -Zack.

Have a Duster like Zfriedbauer almost exact, except the wheels. Mine has beatup Cragers.Have looked high and wide for the stock wheels. Any body know to get reasonable stock rallies.

Have a Duster like Zfriedbauer almost exact, except the wheels. Mine has beatup Cragers.Have looked high and wide for the stock wheels. Any body know to get reasonable stock rallies.

ive looked all over for a decent priced set, even damaged ones are expensive. I found ONE in a local junkyard but nothing else....

ive looked all over for a decent priced set, even damaged ones are expensive. I found ONE in a local junkyard but nothing else....

Too bad you don't live near me, i have a set of small bolt pattern rallye wheels i would sell for a reasonable price.
Shipping would be brutal from here.
Keep looking, you should be able to find some fairly locally......
Oh, and i voted to build the car the way you want!

Well payment is pending on the new intake, and horse trading got me a 2 barrel Holley and air cleaner assembly. So gotta ship some stuff. Also found a lead on stock 198 slant 6 rods. Gonna see if the guy would trade or sell. Good progress! I'll get pics of new stuff soon!

Hey y'all! i got the picture of the car im tryin to replicate (sort of..) it wil appear stock. super 6 under the hood. same color as the one pictured, spinnker white and a brown stripe. new gold duster stickers. i want the ralleye wheels but im growing attached the ones i have. <3 same interior as it has. i found both repro seat fabric and that sick-@$$ snakeskin top!
Where did you find the snakeskin top at. I need one for my 74 gold duster?

I have the chrome for the 1/2 top if you need it.

-
Back