74 scamp rear end choices

-

lifted1981

Reaction score
i have a 74 scamp, with a fresh built 318. it has eagle forged rods, lunatti cam, 360 heads, and a 727 trans. The comp ratio should be around 9:6:1. I was looking for a 3.91, or 4.10 rear for it. I am a little confused, can i just change the gears? or do i need a whole new rear end? if so which rear end do i get? I am not going to say money is no object, but with my busy schedule i am more apt to pay more for something i can bolt in easy, than to try to save a few bucks doing leg work/ custom work.

what's in it now. 7 1/4 toss 8 1/4 redo 8 3/4 redo
doing new will cost mega $$$$$
possible ford rear to save $$$$$

Witch one does it look like?

id chart.jpg

i am not sure what is in it now. whatever was stock. i think the gears are 273.

most likely a 7 1/4. you will want atleast a 8 1/4 and for me preferably a 8 3/4 rear. then you can get into the gears and sure grip unit. its noth gonna be cheap thats for sure.

Before we can help you we are going to need to know what you have. If you have the 7 1/4 you are going to want to change it out. If you have a 8 1/4 that should be fine to work with and just do a gear change and a sure grip unit. But an 8 3/4 would be better.

But the first thing you need to know is what you have now. Go out and look under your car and match it up to the chart.

it was kinda hard to see because of the gas tank. but it had 9 bolts so i assume that means its the 7 1/4

You can buy a moser axle dana 60 complete for around $1900.
If you were to redo an 8 3/4 you wouldn't be far from this
buying the housing - new posi unit - upgrade to big bolt pattern axles
and brakes bearings etc

so with a ford 9 inch what eles do i have to get besides the rear? and what models could i scavenge one from that would fit my car without modifying?

If it was my car I would go with an 8 3/4 with aftermarket axles and bigger brakes to get the big bolt pattern. You could also go with re-drilled stock axles and drums. Or you could use re-splined C body axles and brake set up. For my Dart I had a C body 8 3/4 narrowed and axles shortened and re-splined. I have a 2.76 open, 3.23 open and a 3.91 SG for it and have about $1200.00 in it total. Has all new brakes, new axle bearings. There have been more A body 8 3/4 rears for sale lately you might post an add here that you are looking for one they are around. I think you could be set up and going for under a $1000.00 with some searching. You wont find a 8 1/4 with the gears you want, also you need a 3.21 or lower housing to install new gears into. By the time your set up with new bearings and everything for an 8 1/4 your going to be into 8 3/4 territory anyway. Alot of opinions on what to do here for sure but there realy isn't a good cheap option that is going to be obtainable with the gearing you want.

-
Back