741 8-3/4 application?

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
I believe I have the answer to my question already, but for peace of mind...will a 741 be just fine for an a-body with a 340 running 400-450 hp, auto trans? Again street use mainly, some track time here and there. And will it be borderline or plenty overkill for such an application?

I have an opportunity maybe to buy one with the gears I want, 3:55, with sure grip too. Which by the way...what's a fair price for one these days? Researching internet prices are all over the place. I don't know which type of sure grip yet, clutch or cone, so ballpark for both would good to know.

I think you will be fine.

I run a 741 case in my 340 4 speed, #3450 pound Dart. My 340 is about 400 horse, it pushed a #3300 pound Duster into the 12's.

I aint a drag strip lizard anymore, but I used to be. I've never seen a broken 741. Not one. I've seen quite a few race too in cars as fast as 10 seconds. What I have seen are a few broken 489s, but I believe only because the crush sleeve failed. The 741 does not utilize a crush sleeve. They are plenty strong.

-
Back