741 question

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
Ok, I picked up a couple of used / unknown 741 center sections, non posi ,,,one is a 2:73 the other is a 2:94
for 25.00 each,, so not much in them..

I called Dr Diff,, he can get 3:55 and 3:73 gears,, but they will require the fine 29 tooth yoke,, that is another 70.00

so thinking, maybe I will just rebuild the 2:94 unit, leave it as a one legger and have it available to use as a center section plug in, if and when I plan to make an extended highway trip.

questions:
1) assuming I go with the green bearings, exactly how time comsuming and troublesome is it to pull, say a 4:10 8.75 center section and plug in a 2:94 section? EZ enough to do for a weekend trip, or not?

2) to rebuild the unknown 741 to a reliable state,, assuming I keep it as a single track,, and I do the rebuild myself,, I have decent mechanical skills and tools,, what parts will I need? approximate costs?

3) how can I tell if the main gear and pinion is damaged or worn to the point I should replace it,, if I don't see obvious pitting, broken teeth is it OK? What do I need to look for?

thanks

Spend the extra 70 get it done right, for resale if nothing else, with 2 of us we change centers between runs at the strip not real hard to do. take 2 hrs by yourself if you stay at it.

-
Back