742 case question

-

furyus2

Reaction score
I have a 742 case 3.55 sure grip in my 69 Dart. Does the pinion have a crush sleeve, or shims? I need to change the pinion seal.

I replaced the seal in my 742 case a while back. I marked the position of the nut on the pinion shaft with a chisel and backed it out slowly counting the number of turns. Then replaced it to the exact same point. It helped using an impact wrench.

Driven several hundred miles since with no problem.

Since it has shims you don't even need to mark where the pinion nut was because the shims will stop the bearings from over tightening. All ya gotta do is yank the yoke off, change the seal. Install the yoke using a new pinion nut (they should really only be used once although some guys reuse them and apply Loctite) and torque it down to 180 ft. lbs. I also apply a little shellac sealer to the OD of the seal to prevent any weepage

Since it has shims you don't even need to mark where the pinion nut was because the shims will stop the bearings from over tightening. All ya gotta do is yank the yoke off, change the seal. Install the yoke using a new pinion nut (they should really only be used once although some guys reuse them and apply Loctite) and torque it down to 180 ft. lbs. I also apply a little shellac sealer to the OD of the seal to prevent any weepage

Good ol Gaskacinch. :D

I've hear of Gaskacinch but never used it cause no one around me sells it.

You have to stir it up before use with the brush attached to the cap, but man is it good stuff for things like that.
It does harden up so you wouldn't want to use it on speedo assemblies or anything like that, but for sealing seals in housings it's killer stuff.

Some of the trans places use it on pump seals too, but I much prefer locktite for those, but for output shaft seals, rear end seals, 4x4 axles and disc brake seals it's the ****.

Really tacky gooey stuff.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great! Can I find Gaskacinch locally? If not, what brand name of shellac is out there. Not real familiar with it. I guess I put it where the seal fits into its recess? Isn't there some stuff on the outer part of the seal for that, or does it not do a good job of sealing? Sorry for all the questions. I just would like to have one job on this car done the first time....

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great! Can I find Gaskacinch locally? If not, what brand name of shellac is out there. Not real familiar with it. I guess I put it where the seal fits into its recess? Isn't there some stuff on the outer part of the seal for that, or does it not do a good job of sealing? Sorry for all the questions. I just would like to have one job on this car done the first time....

Don't ever ask that question again as it makes you sound like a Newb. :D

Yes, they have a coating on them but you can't trust it to totally seal every time, especially if the inner bore of the seal seating surface is the slightest bit damaged or scratched.
Use Indian Head shellac/sealer if that's what you can find.

Uh Oh! sorry I asked the wrong question. Where can I find the" list of questions not to ask so I don't look like a Newb"? Or is that a newb question? LOL.

So.... not gorilla snot or monkey crap either? Super 300 works well too....

Uh Oh! sorry I asked the wrong question. Where can I find the" list of questions not to ask so I don't look like a Newb"? Or is that a newb question? LOL.

Yep, that was another one.
We'll tell you what you shouldn't have asked after the fact. :D

So.... not gorilla snot or monkey crap either? Super 300 works well too....

******** sweat from an African bull elephant stepping over and dripped into the eye of a native Aborigine in a zoo in New York. (Two days later you have Super glue)

-
Back