75 Dart Instrument Cluster

-

Jim McLain

Reaction score
Rebuilding my dash instrument cluster because none of the gages and few of the lights worked. Figured this was a perfect time to install LEDs.

Question - my donor cluster has 3 blue difuser caps, but my original doesn't have them. Thoughts on whether I should use these with the LEDs? (See pic 1).

Also, I discovered that you shouldn't wait too long after disassembly before reassembly. I found this white plastic piece in my original, but now can't figure out where it went. Any ideas? (See pic 2).

Little bit of paint on the bezel and donor gages. (See pics 3 and 4).

Thanks,

Jim
Jacksonville, FL

20190207_140505.jpg

20190207_140627.jpg

20190207_140518.jpg

20190207_140606.jpg

The diffusers keep the bulbs from falling into the housing. I have a similar 73 model panel here. It has flat pieces of blue tint film instead of dome shape diffuser. serve same purposes.
The white or light blue paint inside was to reflect the little bit of light they had. Looks like you're going to need something brighter than OEM bulbs.
As for that white plastic piece, don't know. My 73 panel doesn't have that or the rectangular opening you have below temp gauge.

RF -

Thanks for the reply. I'll go with the blue diffusers since I'll be using LEDs and those should be brighter.

I found what the white piece is. My cluster has the "Check EGR" light and this is the housing for the bulb. It fell off the rear of the grey original cluster I have.

Now to get this baby buttoned up and tested.

Thanks again,

Jim

Looks like you did a nice job. What did you do for the chrome plastic part

I used the three sided led bulbs in mine with the blue diffusers
and they look great. The only issue is that the dimmer didnt work anymore because the bulbs drew so much less current.

I put regular bulbs in my aftermarket gauges that are hooked to the dash light circuit and the dimmer works again. It just needs a little more load to work.

Looks good im gonna be doing the same here soon I just got mine disassembled the other day

-
Back