75 Dodge Dart Sport Bumper Shocks?

-

Jim McLain

Reaction score
75 Dodge Dart Sport - My resto has hit a snag. After removing the front bumper, I noticed that not only is the bumper bent, but so is the bumper filler unit. Then tonight, my wife noticed that the bumper shocks are not aligned - left, 2 inches exposed; right, 3/4 inch exposed. Both are rusted shut.

Question - I've noticed a number of posts where folks have removed the bumper shocks and installed other mounting plates. How would I go about doing this? Is there a source for these other mounts?

I'll get the bumper straightened, and I'll do a lot of praying for a miracle on the bumper filler unit.

Thanks all,

Jim
Jacksonville, FL

My 75 is the same way i just noticed it a few weeks ago I have always assumed it had been wrecked before I got it bc the pass side fender had obviously been repainted and the two fender badges didn't match. I'm not really sure how to fix it tho

Most folks look for 73 bumper brackets and swap them over. Not too hard to fabricate if you're handy w steel and a welder. The 73 Dart Sport brackets are not reproduced, AFAIK, but the 72 Duster ones are, and they're the ones to modify, 'cause they're close. The fenders and quarters are a bit different on the cars with the 5 mph bumpers. You'll have to figure out what to do with the filler trim, maybe cut it a bit shorter.

Cleaning the impact shocks, and setting them up in a press so as to extend them, could be easier.

I may have some of what you need either way - '73-'74 front bumper parts as well as '75-'76. I just have to dig them out and check the conditions. I'm in Daytona. They do not interchange. People typically use the early bumpers with the corresponding brackets and modify the frame mounting locations. The later bumpers would need the filler/reinforcement removed to use the standard brackets, but at least some of the holes don't line up for the carriage bolts.

Another concern may be the fact that the '75-'76 cars had an extended filler under the grille to compensate for the bumpers that stuck out further with the "shock absorber" brackets. That would have to be removed or modified to use an early bumper set-up. (Oops, Demonic covered that! :) )

Are the front & rear shock absorber brackets different?

Demonic - Thanks for the info. I'll use it!

Loco -

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I only removed the front bumper filler. I didn't do any actual measurements, but the rear bumper shocks kind of look the same as the fronts, except that rear bolt pattern to frame is horizontal, whereas fronts is vertical. I would be interested in the 73-74s, if you can locate them. Jax to Daytona ain't a bad drive anyway, especially if the reward is worth it.

Because I'm just beginning this resto, I'm curious if you have any other parts (75 OEM steering wheel, column shifter arm).

-
Back