750 Brawler vs 650 AVS 2 at the track, right OOTB !

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Plus, we get to see if the 90 lbs weight loss actually nets about a tenth!
Take your pick BEFORE you watch, then see what you think of the results!

Also, hats off to my wife that "walked the pits, track, and staging lanes" trying to capture the footage. She never really gets to "enjoy" watching me make the pass as she knows she only has one shot at capturing each pass, and I'll only get so many passes.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Enjoyed the vid! Not what I predicted prior at all, however. (I thought the avs wouldn't get into the 12s)
I just bought a brawler race 850, to replace my antique 4781 with serious problems. Echo your results, my 850 is flawless so far. ( smaller venturi th an the 850, I think really probably 800 cfm). Even got a deal as a kit from Speedway. For an extra forty bucks, got a dropbase a/c, braided line/an fittings fuel line (very nice setup, even though I didn't use on this car, it will work great on my other), and a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge.

Great job on the track and video
Thanks! My wife likes it when somebody likes the video/camera shoots. Even though I do all the editing, I'd have nothing to edit if it weren't for her hard work. Just this one video was a ton of walking for her on Saturday. So much of her work doesn't make the video through the editing process, so it goes unnoticed. To get footage of the burnout box, then get back to the Van (i was parked at about the 1000 ft marker) to shoot me on the return road is a lot of traveling on foot for her.

I was expecting both carbs to perform similarly. But I definitely didn’t expect the AVS2 getting the best MPH. And just about matching ET with the Brawler! Never thought they would be soooo close. And the AVS2 is 100cfm smaller. Wow!

All edelbrock needs to do now is do something to address that annoying heat soak. I experienced it as well with my AVS2, mine would be hard to start after sitting for a few minutes during fill up at the gas station!

I was expecting both carbs to perform similarly. But I definitely didn’t expect the AVS2 getting the best MPH. And just about matching ET with the Brawler! Never thought they would be soooo close. And the AVS2 is 100cfm smaller. Wow!

All edelbrock needs to do now is do something to address that annoying heat soak. I experienced it as well with my AVS2, mine would be hard to start after sitting for a few minutes during fill up at the gas station!

Back in the 1970’s we ran thick fiber gaskets on our themoquads. I think it was even a dealer item. Might be worth looking into.

Been a long time but it looked something like this.

Carter Thermo-Quad Carburetor Base Gaskets - Carburetor Parts & Kits for Carter, Ford Motorcraft, Holley & Rochester Carburetors

22DBB96A-9027-4EF7-94ED-C822E572C79A.jpeg

Give the wife a pat on the back. She did a fine job on the video!

Bigger is not always better........
One carb might have more airflow, but does not atomise the fuel as well.

Get that thick gasket.
Spot on.

I never got to try the thick gasket. I switched the AVS2 out for an old school OEM AVS and the heat soak went away. I think it’s the bowl vent valve on the factory carb that makes a difference.

Well done! You wife is a good sport and she does a nice job with the camera.

Give the wife a pat on the back. She did a fine job on the video!

Well done! You wife is a good sport and she does a nice job with the camera.

I am telling her the kind words from you guys about her work. She appreciates it for sure! A lot of her work isn't seen through the editing process, but the foot work is still there to make the clips. It's a long ways from the burnout box to get me on the return road then back to the van (parked at the 1000 ft marker).

I was surprised that two totally different style of carbs, and different CFM ratings could perform so identical right OOTB. The cars build as it sits favors the AVS right now, but as the build progresses, I think the Brawler would distant itself from the AVS

You young working guys should take up a collection so 318willrun could take his lovely, patient wife out for a Ribeye dinner. Lol

AVS2 Guys: Here is your secret to combating heat soak. Tunnel Ram!!! The carbs stay cool with all the air rushing past them!!! Get out those hole saws, and let those suckers breathe freely above your hoods!

Low Profile Stack-1.jpg

Low Profile Stack-2.jpg

Also, hats off to my wife that "walked the pits, track, and staging lanes" trying to capture the footage. She never really gets to "enjoy" watching me make the pass as she knows she only has one shot at capturing each pass, and I'll only get so many passes.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great job on the video and on the passes, car works well.

I was surprised that two totally different style of carbs, and different CFM ratings could perform so identical right OOTB. The cars build as it sits favors the AVS right now, but as the build progresses, I think the Brawler would distant itself from the AVS
Thinking about installing a hair bigger cam in that engine?

Yeah, the entire project will continue to move forward... maybe with a different engine

That video started out with that blaring music and I said to myself ohhh boy. But the music stopped and was replaced by tire smoke and engine music. Thanks for that.

-
Back