750 Edelbrock on a mild 400??

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
I have a mild 400 with 452 heads, older Hughes 470 lift cam and a '69 383 intake with the Edelbrock 750 carb. It's runs decent for what it is but are the 750 Edelbrocks a little lean for the big block Mopars? I hear that they are...

I know the single exhaust is not helping things but it's what I have for now.
But is there a better choice as far as a carb goes or will the 750 be fine with a little tuning and or changing jets around? I do have a Performer 383 intake that I am planning on installing.

It's in a '65 Newport coupe that I am going to be driving often. High 2 something rear gears..etc. I'm not asking this ride to be the end all ultimate power and gas mileage ride, however it' never hurts to make something as balanced and effecient as you can.

a 750 should be fine for a mild app like yours. I've seen them put up some good numbers when rodded and jetted correctly. Did you "read" your plugs? No bogging? no lean out? If all is good, all is good. If you go dual exhaust it has been my experience that somehow the reduction of backpressure leans the mixture slightly, if that happens just jet accordingly. If I'm not mistaken Edelbrock has some comprehensive info and charts on their website for their carbs...

Thanks for the info. I will check the plugs soon. The previous owner says that the floats have not been adjusted and I did notice that it does idle a little high. The previous owner also said that it is set high to keep the lights from being so dim at night.

I may need to be looking at upgrading the alternator soon. Any suggestions to do this?

The carb should not be a concern. What SHOULD be is getting rid of single exhaust

Summit racing has 2-1/2 true duals for about $220. I did them on my '74 Duster. It was all a nice slip fit and a minor trim at the tail pipes end. Mufflers included, mello sound, not to loud on the inside, decent sounding while on the throttle. You'll get noticd when ya hit it.

-
Back