76 Dart Tail panel swap?

-

NorthernMainer

Reaction score
Hey folks, sorry to ask again, but I tried to search, and didn't find a solid answer. Has anyone on here swapped from the 73 up tail panel (entire rear bumper lights etc), to the 70-71 tail panel? If so could you post pictures of the process.

Hey folks, sorry to ask again, but I tried to search, and didn't find a solid answer. Has anyone on here swapped from the 73 up tail panel (entire rear bumper lights etc), to the 70-71 tail panel? If so could you post pictures of the process.
yes.

It's a Dart, the tail panels are totally different. I mean, same basic principle sure, but the the details of it could be pretty different.

I know someone did this, I think it was on a '74. Maybe I can find the thread.
it was me

Project 440DD

I used a 70 donor car to swap tail panels.

It's a Dart, the tail panels are totally different. I mean, same basic principle sure, but the the details of it could be pretty different.

I know someone did this, I think it was on a '74. Maybe I can find the thread.
The 70-73 and the 74-76 rear body panels will fit 70-76 Dart and 74-76 Valiant 1/4 panels since the later
model Valiants are based on Dart body. The 1/4 panel extensions are different between cars with tail lights in body and ones with tail lights in bumper. The 74 -76 cars also use the big impact absorbing bumper shocks. Rear trunk floor
should be the same.

The 70-73 and the 74-76 rear body panels will fit 70-76 Dart and 74-76 Valiant 1/4 panels since the later
model Valiants are based on Dart body. The 1/4 panel extensions are different between cars with tail lights in body and ones with tail lights in bumper. The 74 -76 cars also use the big impact absorbing bumper shocks. Rear trunk floor
should be the same.
Not true. Having done this swap, I can tell you the 70-73 quarter panels are different than the 74-76. Marker light holes in the wrong location, quarter panel for the 74-76 are a full 1.5 inches shorter than the 70-73. The angle of the rear of the quarter where it attaches to the tail panel is also different. The rear trunk floor on a 74-76 dart must be extended approximately 1.50- 1.75 inches behind the spare tire well to the rear tail panel. There's pictures in my build thread.

Not true. Having done this swap, I can tell you the 70-73 quarter panels are different than the 74-76. Marker light holes in the wrong location, quarter panel for the 74-76 are a full 1.5 inches shorter than the 70-73. The angle of the rear of the quarter where it attaches to the tail panel is also different. The rear trunk floor on a 74-76 dart must be extended approximately 1.50- 1.75 inches behind the spare tire well to the rear tail panel. There's pictures in my build thread.
I stand corrected.

Alright. Are the trunk lids the same 70-76?
yes. the trunk lids, gutters, hinges are all the same. Ill get some pics tonight for you, I have a 70 trunk lid and a 74 trunk lid. They are identical.

the only place where the 4 door and the 2 door are gonna differ is gonna be the quarter, though itll probably run into the same issue as the 2 door with the distance behind the rear wheel opening to the tail panel being short than that of the 70-73s. biggest reason for this is the redesign of the bumper and tail panel. the bumper is much larger on the 74-76 than previous. therefore it appears they tucked the tailpanel in more than in previous years.

yes. the trunk lids, gutters, hinges are all the same. Ill get some pics tonight for you, I have a 70 trunk lid and a 74 trunk lid. They are identical.

the only place where the 4 door and the 2 door are gonna differ is gonna be the quarter, though itll probably run into the same issue as the 2 door with the distance behind the rear wheel opening to the tail panel being short than that of the 70-73s. biggest reason for this is the redesign of the bumper and tail panel. the bumper is much larger on the 74-76 than previous. therefore it appears they tucked the tailpanel in more than in previous years.

Awesome, well all in all it doesn't sound too bad. The reason I was asking about the trunk lid is maybe I can use that to line everything up before I make it permanent. Thanks for the pictures. I know this all sounds like a lot of work, but personally I like 4 doors, and I know it's something I can do.

Awesome, well all in all it doesn't sound too bad. The reason I was asking about the trunk lid is maybe I can use that to line everything up before I make it permanent. Thanks for the pictures. I know this all sounds like a lot of work, but personally I like 4 doors, and I know it's something I can do.
honestly, find you a donor car from the year you want, cut the rear of the car off and use as much as you can to swap over, its easier.

and nothing wrong with 4 doors, I have a 4 door polara too

honestly, find you a donor car from the year you want, cut the rear of the car off and use as much as you can to swap over, its easier.

Yeah I'm going to try to find one. I posted an ad on craigslist, and I have a few old school car buddies in my state that should be able to help me find one. A friend down the street from me has a bumper with tail lights, it's a 4 tail light bumper.

Yeah I'm going to try to find one. I posted an ad on craigslist, and I have a few old school car buddies in my state that should be able to help me find one. A friend down the street from me has a bumper with tail lights, it's a 4 tail light bumper.
so its a 71/72

it was me

Project 440DD

I used a 70 donor car to swap tail panels.

I knew someone did it! Didn't Stan (stans blue 72?) do something similar as well?

Hey if it's something you can do and it's what you want, that's all that matters. I turned my '74 Duster into a '71 Demon clone/tribute. My '72 challenger is going to end up with a '71 front end and quarters, but it needed most of those panels replaced due to rust anyway.

Make it what you want and drive the crap out of it. If you worry too much about what it's worth or what other people think it's not any fun.

so its a 71/72

Yeah spares for his car, but he decided to have the ones on his stripped, then sent out to be re- chromed. Keep in mind he did not paint this car.. Lol

20170901_132305.jpg

20170901_132300.jpg

I knew someone did it! Didn't Stan (stans blue 72?) do something similar as well?

Yep. I know im not the only one to do it. I know he ran into the same issues i did.

-
Back