76 Duster neutral safety switch

-

2kids

Reaction score
what the heck tool/trick do I need to use to swap out the neutral safety switch on my 76 Duster ??

I ain't gumby dammit!

I just use Channel Locks, LOL But these are a hex like any other bolt, so wrench, socket, should work

It's just that the exhaust is in the way and I can't get at it with anything - guess I'll have to drop the exhaust which I really didn't want to do.

Dumb thing is I just had the tranny down to replace the torque converter.

Think it will drop down enough to get at it if you unbolt the trans cross member? Might be worth a shot.

Was the switch working before you pulled the trans? I had the problem happen before and it was between the connection on the starter relay or the connection at the safety switch. Maybe plug the safety switch in the opposite way- 180 degree different. If its not letting it start- maybe you pinched the wire for the safety switch around the bell housing somewhere? It does run up that way and up around the wiper motor then over to the starter relay. Run a ground from bottom right post on starter relay to a car ground anywhere then try and start. That bypasses the safety switch so you can move it if have to. Bottom right as in both spade connections on starter relay are closest to you and battery post nuts on relay are away from you. Bottom right- I believe is the safety switch.

Was the switch working before you pulled the trans? I had the problem happen before and it was between the connection on the starter relay or the connection at the safety switch. Maybe plug the safety switch in the opposite way- 180 degree different. If its not letting it start- maybe you pinched the wire for the safety switch around the bell housing somewhere? It does run up that way and up around the wiper motor then over to the starter relay. Run a ground from bottom right post on starter relay to a car ground anywhere then try and start. That bypasses the safety switch so you can move it if have to. Bottom right as in both spade connections on starter relay are closest to you and battery post nuts on relay are away from you. Bottom right- I believe is the safety switch.

thanks! I'll give this stuff a try and let you guys know

Check it with an ohmmeter first. Maybe disconnect the shift lever and operate the lever right at the tranny to be sure it is on the correct detents. Those switches are pretty simple and rarely fail.

Check it with an ohmmeter first. Maybe disconnect the shift lever and operate the lever right at the tranny to be sure it is on the correct detents. Those switches are pretty simple and rarely fail.

X2 .....usually the linkage is out of adjustment if it won't start....

-
Back