76 Duster

-

carlwinfree

Reaction score
I am new to the Mopar world. i just got a 1976 Duster. it was originally a 6 cyl. car, and now has a 318. not sure what tranny. A guy on craigslist has a rebuilt 518 tranny for sale for $500 comes with converter, and flex plate. My question is, will the tranny bolt up to motor? And will I need a different drive shaft or anything like that? I know the dip sticks are on opposite sides the 518 is on the driver side, and the one in my car is on the passenger side.

Welcome to the site. Be patient someone will answer your questions. Bump to the top.

It'll bolt up to a 318 but it won't even come close to fitting in the small transmission tunnel of an A-body. Do a search on here for 518 install and you'll find many threads on the subject that shows what it takes to install one. I can tell you it's not for the faint of heart.

BTW: your incorrect about the dipstick. An A518 is basically a 727 torqueflite with overdrive. All mopar dipsticks are on the passenger side.

$500.00 for a rebuilt 518? Not likely, unless he considers a rattle can paint job a rebuild. Parts alone for a good rebuild are going to run more than that, let alone supplying a rebuilt converter also.

I appreciate the replies. I am going to pass on it. He did tell me wrong on the dipstick. the tranny looks nice, he said he has about $1,200 in the rebuild, but needing to sell. Anyway, being that it will be difficult to swap, I'm going to pass. I did find a local Mopar guy. I took my car to him, hes's going to give it a once over and get my tranny fixed. thanks again. it's good to be part of the Mopar world now...lol

Here's the car. In case anyone was curious. I'm pretty excited!

Attachments

• 76duster.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 76duster2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 76duster3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 184
Welcome aboard Carl, and to the wonderful world of Mopar!
C

Before going any further...what rear axle do you have and what is the ratio?

Not a Feather Duster, is it?

It will be either a 7.25 or 8.25 rear. If I'm not mistaken by 76 the 8.25 was the only factory option (please correct me if I'm wrong on that guys).

If you two and picture of the rear end cover, we can tell you what/which rear you have. If it's a 7.25, start looking for an a body 8.25 now.

I believe my factory 76 had an 8.25 when I got it. but that's been 13 years ago and my mind has slipped a lot since then.

Mine is a Feather and it had a 7.25". Did a hole shot and then the entire contents fit loosly into a 2lb coffed can.

-
Back