[FOR SALE] '76 Silver Duster, El Paso TX area.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

ceekay

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Well, FABO.... It was fun while it lasted, but I finally found my Isuzu Pickup. So, the Duster has to go down the road...

The Good: Body is pretty solid, sans a few cancer spots here and there, as it was a desert car all its life. Also, I'd figure about a 70% good condition Boca interior (some @$$hole Sawzall'd some speaker holes in the door panels and the seats aren't original), and comes with a complete set of slot mags, 14x7 front, 14x8 deep rear, fronts wrapped in brand new (probably 20 miles on them) Cooper Cobras, rears unwrapped. Nearly-new used taillights installed just before deployment to replace the nasty faded and melted and broken originals.

The Bad: Something is wrong with the engine, I figure rings as the oil (about 250mi old and mixed about 90/10 with LucasOil) smells like gas and it smokes like a steam engine and has a slight knock when warm. The original speedo doesn't work, but I have a new speedo/cable to put in. Wiper system has all new bushings, but needs to be stuck back together. Dash lights don't work. Hazards don't work, but all other driving lights work fine, including the fender-mounted signal indicators.

The Ugly: Whoever did the paintjob last gets major points for effort, but in the execution category they get a 3/10. It was definitely hit in the pass-side quarter in its life, as evidenced by a wonky floor extension and wavy quarter, but the rest of the body is around 80% (to include a rust spot in the aforementioned quarter that goes through to subframe but is fixable, a door that has a few holes, a fender, and a rear window seam). I've removed the front bump-stops for a more sporty look, but I still have the parts and they can be quickly and easily tossed back on.

You can see pictures and in-depth discussion in my build thread here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=222694

Car is located in the El Paso/Ft. Bliss area. Car does run and drive, though if traveling more than 100 miles, I'd suggest towing just to be on the safe side.

Asking $2400 OBO, cash greatly preferred since my bank is 1500 miles from post... Would make a good parts car, or a better hot rod! I bought it as a project, but once I started digging into it, I found it to be a much bigger project than I can handle at the moment; It's very difficult to do a proper restore/resto-mod in the barracks parking lot. Also, I've found an Isuzu Pickup 4x4, and I've always wanted to build one of them into a pre-runner/light-mod baja class type rig. This one is better on gas, far more reliable, and I know just about every last in- and out- of the Isuzu Pickup, having had the pleasure of owning them for well over a decade now.

Strangely enough, I'm still in Afghanistan, so the actual transaction will have to be done in about 30-35 days when I return stateside.

- CK

Bump! Still for sale, and I'm going to be home in about two weeks. If it is not taken by a FABO member by then, it's going back to Craigslist.

- CK

BUMP!! Yet still for sale... Any offers or insight or -anything-?? :S

Okay, this is getting ridiculous...

I saw a similar generation Duster a few months ago that was "virtually rust-free" with no floor pans or trunk floor left and exterior panels and frame rails with more rust than Hillary Clinton's nether-regions sell quicker and for more than I'm asking, with a lengthy discussion to boot!! The damn thing was hardly a pair of quarter panels' worth of Duster, where mine is about 90% already, she just needs a body job and a smidgeon of engine work... She runs, drives, and looks good doing it!!

Why in the hell am I getting absolutely no sort of feedback!? Nobody is saying "dang if only I was closer" or "too high price" or "sent PM" or "good luck with sale" or even "I hope you die in a fire..."

New ultimatum: If I don't get at least one reply saying literally ANYTHING by November, I'm going to tear the front disc parts out for my Roadrunner, and scrap the rest. Note: This car is in FAR too good of shape to scrap, but I WILL rid the world of one more A-body if I don't get a response of some kind...

- CK

To save an A body I'll reply. Wish I had a place to work on it. In Ft Worth with no garage, and city frowns on "junk" cars in driveway. Hoping you get some offers, as I would hate to see it scrapped.

Instead of scraping the rest why not part it out?
Kill one to save many...
I would like to get both the side mirrors and a few other things possibly if you decide to do so

Dang if only I was closer and I'm not sure about the price, since I'm too far away for it to matter, so I didn't send a PM but good luck with sale and I certainly DO NOT hope you die in a fire...

But seriously, I do hope you find a buyer, it's worth saving or doing something with. You'd certainly find a buyer for more than scrap price plus the value of the front brakes, so don't give up. I'm sort of looking for a car to turn into a street/strip or just strip car, but I can't even figure out a way to make the one near me work out, so... I'm no help for you. But anyway, good luck with sale, hope it finds a home!

And oddly, for some reason I never even saw this ad when it was posted, and I look at about every new for sale ad each morning.

Oh, and by the way, those Silver Dusters are pretty rare. Not that that always translates into valuable or even desirable, but it's quite unique. I agree with 74Dart, at the very least, part it out instead of scrapping, if worse comes to worse.

I definitely would consider it, but the Army frowns on parting out cars in the barracks parking lot... In fact, the Army is the main reason I have to give her up!! They frown on having "junk" cars in the parking lot, and frown even harder on trying to fix up junk cars in the parking lot. There is a shop on main post where Soldiers are allowed to fix on their cars, but I am unsure of the regs; It may or may not cost to fix on cars, and it also may or may not be possible to keep the car on said property. It's mostly for Soldiers to do their own oil changes and simple maintenance; not for Soldiers to set up their own car resto business...

That way, I -could- get the front discs off of it for the bird, -and- make some money off of it. Everything is in good shape except for a few spots on the body and the Boca Raton interior package is a bit weathered and slightly mutilated... Would be a GREAT parts car!!

- CK

Understandable. Then post it up here and/or CL with your bottom-dollar price to get her moved and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back