8 1/4 B-body Rear End Questions

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
So I picked up an 8 1/4 b-body rear end for free the other day simply because it fit my budget and I was in need for a rear. It's in pretty good shape being complete and everything still turning and not locked up at all. The car that it's goin in is a 72 Dart Swinger and heard that it might be a tight fit. I'm aware that the spring perches have to be moved in 1/2 inch on each side but am unaware of everything else, if there is anything else.

Also, where can I find left hand lug nuts?

Thanks guys, you never cease to fail.

what year b body I think the widths vary through the years, also while you have the rear out can you change the wheel studs?

I have no idea what year. Is there a number anywhere that I can look up?

Can I just swap the studs with those out of an 7 1/4? because I still have the original rear end that's complete.

8 1/4" rears came on line in '73. Being a B body unit it will be large bolt pattern (5 on 4 1/2"). Shortening the housing will be a little more involved since they use C clip axles which you can't cut to fit. I personally wouldn't use an 8 1/4" on a lawn mower because they are a C clip axle and I have broken an axle in one with a 4 cylinder Dakota.

I had heard that you just need to remove the spring perches and not shorten the housing. Did I hear wrong? Of course I would like to run a 8 3/4 but budget is a big factor in my build so free is as good as it gets.

I had heard that you just need to remove the spring perches and not shorten the housing. Did I hear wrong? Of course I would like to run a 8 3/4 but budget is a big factor in my build so free is as good as it gets.
i have a 8.25 in my 72 Dusta that came out of a 88 5th Ave, didn't have to shorten it but had to move the perches in around a 1/4 inch on each side...

Now I remember, he told me it came out of a 70 Satellite or early 70s. Whats the fitment looking like for that rear end?

-
Back