8 1/4 issues?

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
8.25 bearing issues.
Currently am rebuilding the 8.25 that came out of my Duster with a Richmond rebuild kit and Spicer Sure Grip. Main issue is that the race from the kit that sits in the housing for the carrier bearings is too large Outside Diameter. To add onto that the bearings for the carrier DO fit correctly to the Spicer carrier but are different Inside Diameter (larger) when compared to the previous factory carrier. The carrier bearing I need needs to have a 1.782 ID and the race I need needs to have a 2.891 OD. What's my issue here? Anyone ever had this problem on an A-body 8 1/4?

20231028_150755.jpg

Sounds like you got the wrong carrier.

There's a year break in there someplace. I had the same thing happen years ago, when I was putting a SureGrip in my 74 8 1/4 with a new bearing kit.

Later 8.25s (early '80s?) used larger carrier bearings that won't fit your earlier housing. The inside diameter(cone) remains the same, but the outer diameter (race size) was increased. Just sounds like you got/were sent the wrong rebuild kit.

From the 1975 Technical Service Bulletin:
Starting Oct. 20, 1975 two size axle bearings will be used on the early model vehicles.
Since on the early models with two generations of axle bearings being used utmost care must be taken in service to use the appropriate bearing. As has been the rule in the past, always replace the cup and cone in a set only.
The new and larger bearing will be used in axle housings that will be identified with a letter " L " about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in size cast into the top center of the housing.

From the 1975 Technical Service Bulletin:
Starting Oct. 20, 1975 two size axle bearings will be used on the early model vehicles.
Since on the early models with two generations of axle bearings being used utmost care must be taken in service to use the appropriate bearing. As has been the rule in the past, always replace the cup and cone in a set only.
The new and larger bearing will be used in axle housings that will be identified with a letter " L " about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in size cast into the top center of the housing.
So rear ends with the letter L are suppose to have the larger race and bearing size?

Have personally seen the " L " on 1976 abodies with the larger bearings. Don't know if Chrysler continued using that letter in 77 and latter years.
Doesn't seem like it would be necessary after 76 because the smaller bearing was no longer used.

8.25 bearing issues.
Currently am rebuilding the 8.25 that came out of my Duster with a Richmond rebuild kit and Spicer Sure Grip. Main issue is that the race from the kit that sits in the housing for the carrier bearings is too large Outside Diameter. To add onto that the bearings for the carrier DO fit correctly to the Spicer carrier but are different Inside Diameter (larger) when compared to the previous factory carrier. The carrier bearing I need needs to have a 1.782 ID and the race I need needs to have a 2.891 OD. What's my issue here? Anyone ever had this problem on an A-body 8 1/4?

View attachment 1716159357

Too bad I didn’t see this sooner, as I went through it a couple of years ago putting a carrier from a Dakota sure grip in my 73/74 8.25.
I have the bearing and race numbers.

Still haven't ordered anything yet. Was going to call Timken today. I have the later carrier with the large ID bearing and the older housing with the small OD race. I'd take the part numbers still
Too bad I didn’t see this sooner, as I went through it a couple of years ago putting a carrier from a Dakota sure grip in my 73/74 8.25.
I have the bearing and race numbers.

Still haven't ordered anything yet. Was going to call Timken today. I have the later carrier with the large ID bearing and the older housing with the small OD race. I'd take the part numbers still

I’ll find em and post them for you a bit later today.

This is what I show.

IMG_4987.jpeg

Don't make this harder than it needs to be- The I.D didn't change, the O.D. did.
Look at these specs (I.D. in green, O.D. in red):
Older rear:
1698682003508.png

Newer rear:
1698682342437.png

You need the early smaller O.D. bearing for your housing. You bought the later large O.D. bearing, which will not fit your housing. Just get the correct bearing for your housing- forget about the carrier, those all are the same dimension.

Last edited:
-
Back