Status
Not open for further replies.

Duggie

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
Hello All,

I'm wanting to replace my 8 1/4" rear end 2.45 gears with something more suitable for my /6. Anyone out there done an upgrade on their 8 1/4" rear end and have an open carrier differential sitting under their bench? Gears in the 2.90s or low 3s preferred.
:thankyou:

I have a good used set of 2.71 gears out of my 8.25. I swapped to 3.55's. I also have the correct speedo gear that went with it but will depend on your tire size. Mine was correct at 26" but there is a chart you can use. Not looking to make a killing on it.
PM me if interested.

I have a good used set of 2.71 gears out of my 8.25. I swapped to 3.55's. I also have the correct speedo gear that went with it but will depend on your tire size. Mine was correct at 26" but there is a chart you can use. Not looking to make a killing on it.
PM me if interested.
Thanks for the reply Joe. I do appreciate it. It looks like going to a 2.71 gear would give me about a 250 RPM bump at 70 MPH. I'd like to get a few more RPM than that to help me climb the hills in 4th.
:steering:

Duggie
I saw an add on Craigslist for a gentleman cleaning out his garage. Says he has several 8 1/4
May have something

Duggie
I saw an add on Craigslist for a gentleman cleaning out his garage. Says he has several 8 1/4
May have something
Thanks for the lead. I can't seam to find anything. What search phrase did you use?

Thanks for the lead. I can't seam to find anything. What search phrase did you use?
Sorry I just saw your message. I looked in the Seattle area .
Typed in mopar
Guy has jack stands and other items on the trend

Typed in mopar
Found it!! Thanks again. I never would have found that under "jack stands".

Got distracted with this along the way for $2,500
val.jpg

Typed in mopar

Well Dart Fan, thanks again for the lead. Unfortunately, it came up a bust. The guy has three different rear ends. The one 8 1/4" he had was completely stripped down, and that was okay by me as I'm just looking for the carrier and pinion gears between the 2.90s and 3.20s. The axles were hanging out and the pinion yoke was face down in the dirt. I couldn't rotate the pinion yoke at the yoke or by using either axle shaft. The owner wouldn't let me pull the cover off the back to see what's going on. He said take it as is or leave it. I left it.

The search continues...

I have two carriers. One with welded spider gears. And one with no spiders in it. I know the welded one was a 3.55. The other one not sure.

I have two carriers. One with welded spider gears. And one with no spiders in it. I know the welded one was a 3.55. The other one not sure.
Hey SG. Thanks for the response. Does "welded spider gears" mean that one tire chirps when turning a sharp radius corner?

I don't think I can us any of the guts out of my 2.45 rear end, right? So I would still need to find spider gears for the mystery gear set?
:thankyou:

Well your spider gears and cross shaft should all be transferable.

Okay, I have read that the 2.45 rear end has a thinner carrier for the ring gear and that anything above, I think a 2.71 requires a different / thicker carrier than the 2.45.

So the cross shaft and spider gears are transferable between the two different sized carriers? If that's the case, I'd love to know the mystery gear ratio. The 2.45s are just too tall to be practical behind my little /6.

Thanks for the time here. I don't know much, but think I can set up a better gear ratio than the the 2.45 I have with this forum and my Factory Service Manual. :poke:

The welded one was 3.55 carrier the other empty case I don’t remember but I can compare the two. The difference is the height of the mounting surface where the ring gear bolts on the carrier.

The welded one was 3.55 carrier the other empty case I don’t remember but I can compare the two. The difference is the height of the mounting surface where the ring gear bolts on the carrier.

If I can swap the spider gears to the different thickness carrier, I'm in for a more drivable gear ratio. When you have a gear ratio, price, and weight (I guess) I can figure shipping and total cost to my door.

Thanks again!

Ok the empty one I have won’t work it’s for 2.20 or 2.45. The one I have that will work has spider gears welded in the case. And welded to the case. Sorry. Roy

Ok the empty one I have won’t work it’s for 2.20 or 2.45. The one I have that will work has spider gears welded in the case. And welded to the case. Sorry. Roy
Thanks for the leg work. I do appreciate it!!

Well Dart Fan, thanks again for the lead. Unfortunately, it came up a bust. The guy has three different rear ends. The one 8 1/4" he had was completely stripped down, and that was okay by me as I'm just looking for the carrier and pinion gears between the 2.90s and 3.20s. The axles were hanging out and the pinion yoke was face down in the dirt. I couldn't rotate the pinion yoke at the yoke or by using either axle shaft. The owner wouldn't let me pull the cover off the back to see what's going on. He said take it as is or leave it. I left it.

The search continues...
Well thats craigslist for ya.
I'll keep looking also

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back