8 1/4 sure grip... what year Dakotas?

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Which year Dakotas are a workable donor for the 8 1/4 sure grip (just the unit, not the entire rear). I'm reading a few threads that seem to say up to around '95 and others make mentions of '97's, but I cant seem to confirm the exact cutoff? Trying to expand my donor car options, can anyone help on this one?

My 1996 dakota 318 2wd short cab/short bed had a factory 3.92 posi, it was full time always locked posi.

Do you remember if that '96 was an 8 1/4" or did they move to the 9 1/4" for that model year?

Do you remember if that '96 was an 8 1/4" or did they move to the 9 1/4" for that model year?

'96 will still have the 8-1/4. The spline count changed in 97. They should be 27 spline until 96 then 29 spline in 97 and newer. I think they still used the 8-1/4 in Dakota's past 97 also tho.

'96 will still have the 8-1/4. The spline count changed in 97. They should be 27 spline until 96 then 29 spline in 97 and newer. I think they still used the 8-1/4 in Dakota's past 97 also tho.

yupp, I had an '01 dakota with an 8 1/4 3:55 gears. only thing you have to worry about is dakota's from 1991+ are 6 bolt hole wheels

You can also look at Jeeps I picked up a 3:55 sure grip for $100.

I'm hoping it works out as well for me. I've located a '97. If I'm just after the LSD, do I have to worry about spline count? Sorry about the rookie question.

Are these dakota units a direct bolt in or do you have to modify anything else ,but the lugs? I can't believe these work on the older 8 1/4 rears. Interesting thread by the way. Mike

Are these dakota units a direct bolt in or do you have to modify anything else ,but the lugs? I can't believe these work on the older 8 1/4 rears. Interesting thread by the way. Mike

If you get the correct one your A body axles will fit, otherwise you would have to have yours resplined or the dakota axles cut to fit

-
Back