8 1/4 torque specs

-

1968 signet

MOPAR OR NO CAR
Reaction score
i need the torque specs on the pinion and the diff caps and the end play gear to gear.

The pinion has a crush sleeve so whatever it takes to crush the collar then an additional tightening to achieve a pinion bearing preload turning torque of 15 to 25 inch pounds. It normally takes quite a bit to get the collar to crush but after that not much so be careful. It's easy to over tighten. If you do you'll need to put a new crush collar in it and start again.

As for the carrier if you have the side bearing adjuster turning tool, or you made one then it's a piece of cake. Here's how the factory says to do it.

Install the carrier, torque the bearing caps to 10 ft/lbs. Run the adjusters in so the bearing cups are seated. Move the carrier towards the pinion gear by loosening the right adjuster and tightening the left adjuster until the carrier has no backlash at it's tightest spot and no binding when rotated.

At this point you may have some backlash at other spots on the gear but as long as it has no backlash at it's tightest point without any binding you are OK. Make sure the bearing cups stay seated properly.

Now you tighten the right side bearing adjuster to 75 ft/lbs. This sets the bearing preload and the backlash in one step. You should now have .004-.008 backlash at the tightest spot. Torque the bearing caps to 75 ft/lbs and you're done, you can now install the axles and c clips or what ever you have.

Just so you know why I'm pissed. I spent the time I didn't really have to instruct you on how to set up your rear end and I didn't even get so much as a thank you.

I know this is an old thread, but it is the best explanation for how to do it I have seen yet. It is how I have always done it and I have never had a problem.

Jack

Hey guys ran across this. I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance i am learning as i go. I just replaced the pinion yolk and a manual says 170 Ft/lb of torque on the nut that retains the yolk. I wanted to make sure i wasn't confusing it for what yall were talking about? also what are the torque specs of the 4 small bolts that hold the UJoint on? i hope i used correct terms. Thanks again for any help.

-
Back