8 1/4 u-bolts

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I am swapping from my 7 1/4 to a 8 1/4 this week and was curious if I could use the same u bolts or will I need new ones and can I get them at any parts store?

Axle tubes are bigger, you will need different U bolts. You should be able to get them at the parts store.

There may be someone in your area that can make them as well.

As far as I know ,you will need different shock plates too. 8.25 or 8.75 ones.

I got the shock plates. But from what I have read it looks like the u bolts are three inchers

The original U bolts will likely twist and/or break before the nut would back all the way off. They aren't supposed to be reused anyway. May as well plan to cut the U bolt in half right in the center of the top.

I am doing the same swap and purchased 8.75 shock plats and u bolts they measure
3.5 inches from center to center. I am pulling 7.25 out of my 68 cuda and putting in
the 8.25 sure grip . my 68 car is at my shop so I cant measure the U Bolts on the 7.25 . I made the purchase based on what I read here in different post . Was hoping
others would chime in . I will be doing the swap soon and will know more then. But
everything I have read here says you need the bigger u bolts and shock plates and that the 8.75 ones will work on the 8.25 rear end but 7.25 will difinitly not work as they are to small. Cheers.

7.25 is smaller tubes so those U bolts don't work on anything else. 8.25 and 8.75 both have 3 inch tubes. The U bolts should measure close to or just a little more than 3 inches inside to inside. Sounds like you have it covered..

I am swapping from my 7 1/4 to a 8 1/4 this week and was curious if I could use the same u bolts or will I need new ones and can I get them at any parts store?

You NEVER re-use u-bolts, you stretch them and if you loosen them you then throw them away, but you never re-use them

See your local spring shop, or go to your large truck shop and ask where they get there springs from. Spring shops can make any u-bolt you want

I got the new u bolts yesterday after work. This is a stupid question but you put a u bolt on each side of the spring perch correct ? Meaning four u bolts total.

The original U bolts will likely twist and/or break before the nut would back all the way off. They aren't supposed to be reused anyway. May as well plan to cut the U bolt in half right in the center of the top.

He's right! Save yourself the headache and just cut them off. Go to the parts store in lift and lowering section you'll find the u-bolt's you need! For a little cash you'll have peace of mind with good new bolt's and no headache putting them in!!! Good luck with your project!:burnout:

I got the new u bolts yesterday after work. This is a stupid question but you put a u bolt on each side of the spring perch correct ? Meaning four u bolts total.
Yes!!! No such thing as stupid question's!!! That's what we're supposed to be here for. To help each other!!!:banghead:

Well the rear should be going in this weekend. I am taking the dart to the track with the 7 1/4 on Friday just to see what it would run with 2:73 gears. First time to the track with the dart so wish me luck and ill post a video of me smoking off the old tires.

-
Back