8 1/4 vent tube

-
its tube ... someone told me it was a vent tube ... looks like stainless, coming out of the top of the axel casing

its tube ... someone told me it was a vent tube ... looks like stainless, coming out of the top of the axel casing

I understand. That's not what I asked. I asked if it does double duty by not only venting the axle but also holding down the brake line Tee? On an 8-3/4 the vent tube holds down the brake line Tee. Not sure on a 8-1/4

Did you click on the link I provided that shows one on Mancini's website? does it look like that one?

The 8 1/4 has a 5/16 vent tube coming out of the pumpkin that goes to a cover thats welded to the axle tube. The easiest way to fix would be to use the 8 3/4 style vent/brake tee bolt that fishy linked to and plug the original vent hole in the pumpkin.

here;s a shot of the 8 1/4 ...you can see the tube broken off ... whats up?

0530001632a.jpg

That's certainly different than anything I've seen before but I've only owned one 8-1/4 rearend. Looks like they just used a piece of brake line for the vent. You should be able to yank the broken piece out with an easy out and replace it with a piece of brake tubing I'd think.

so you think its homemade...? what about that part that someone recommended...? will that fit?

are we sure this is an 8 1/4 ?

actually you see where the tubing broke ... and it come out of the other position no problem ...

can I just fill that hole with something?...?

It looks factory from what I can tell in the pics and it appears to be an 8-1/4 but more pics would be helpful.

Do not plug it up. That's the vent. Plug it and it'll puke fluid out when you drive it.

No the vent I recommended earlier won't work without tapping threads into the case and if you do that metal will get down inside and trash it. Do as I said in my last post. That's simple enough, isn't it? I bet I could do it in 15 minutes.

No the vent I recommended earlier won't work without tapping threads into the case
It will work, he just has to swap the brake tee bolt with a vent/bolt in the axle tube, the threads are the same. The broken vent tube should be plugged with something if you go this route.

so, replace the brake t bolt with a vented bolt and I can plug up the tube hole..?
how come I havent seen anyone else with this issue...? the other 8 1/4 I see dont have this tube .... is it a certain year or from a van ..?

both of my 8 1/4's have the vent - sorry never broke one but you do need the vent to maintain a service life.

Scotty, I'm not sure if I ever seen that style for sale aftermarket wise or other. But what you could try is a tube jamb fitted in and a small rubber hose to connect them.

The only other way I can think of is to drill and tap the hole for another type of tube/breather filter.

Unless you can bend the tube back and weld it back on........

that is stock. your not going to find a replacement. go with the brake line/ breather from mancini. plug the old hole and be done with it.

Just to clarify on all the information given. I also have a 8.25 with flush broken off vent tube. I can use the breathable 8.75 bolt as double duty and vent and hold down dist block? I assumed that the venting from the center section would be unable to vent from the tube? Just want to clarify that everyone agrees it can before I go that route.

Just to clarify on all the information given. I also have a 8.25 with flush broken off vent tube. I can use the breathable 8.75 bolt as double duty and vent and hold down dist block? I assumed that the venting from the center section would be unable to vent from the tube? Just want to clarify that everyone agrees it can before I go that route.

Ok, this thread is so old I didn't even remember it and my answer was not correct so I'm editing it. Please read through the thread. The answer is right there.

-
Back