8 1/4?

-

curtis6592

Reaction score
is this a 8 1/4? any other info about it woud be great too. if you can make out any numbers on pic.

DSCN03430001.JPG

DSCN03560001.JPG

Its got a 10 bolt cover-like my 8 1/4.

My 8 1/4 has been doing great, now it has a auburn limited slip but its not very tight and the right tire does chirp when shifting gears. But heck, I had a pro shop set it all up with new parts for $700+ bucks back in 1997. The first few years it was tighter but I just change the oil every few years-first year 2 times-and must have 50,000+ miles on it now. Changed oil last year and the teeth all look good. My ride is 3700 lbs. The gear is 3.91.

Motors a 318 and last year got 360 heads so it break 1 day but thats what I thought 5 years ago too.

Definitely 8 1/4 ..... Good enough for most small block build ups..... IMO....

i already got a warmed over 340 in the car just gotta get the 7.25 out of the car before it breaks im tired of taking it easy.do you think the 904 would be strong enough or should it be a 727. i have a 727 i just need to rebuild it along with the rear.

I ran a high 12 sec Dart for more than 200 passes with a manual valve bodied 904 and an 8 1/4 with a suregrip and 4.10's.
I was really hard on that car, so if your just street driving, you'll be fine.

Unless your 340 is making over 450 hp the 904 will do fine. A good Trans-go kit should be installed to make it shift better. They also extend the life of the trans quite a bit by eliminating slippage. If it has better than stock friction plates and bands it'll take even more.

You'll be fine with the 904 and 8-1/4 then. Probably even get batter gas mileage since the weight is less and the rotating mass is less in a 904.

Unless your 340 is making over 450 hp the 904 will do fine. A good Trans-go kit should be installed to make it shift better. They also extend the life of the trans quite a bit by eliminating slippage. If it has better than stock friction plates and bands it'll take even more.

trans-go,site to the kit or anything? i have been thinking of a trans kit but didnt come across any recommended companies making them for the 904. are there others that make them that people recommend?

I have installed most of the major brand shift improver kits over the last 25 yrs. that I've been rebuilding transmissions and none compare to a Trans-go. What I found with other brands is inconsistency. You can install one in one transmission and it works OK and then install the same kit in another trans. and it may have shift overlap which will fry a trans. in no time. The Trans-go kit is more work than a B&M, TCI, Mopar Perf, Turbo Action (which by the way are nearly identical kits) but it's worth it. Since I discovered the Trans-go kits in the early 90's I haven't used anything else and every trans. has worked great with them.

Here's 2 links to a place I usually buy my parts from. First link is the basic TF-1 kit and second link is the street/strip TF-2 kit. They have about as good a price as you'll find and the service is good.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...2169&Category_Code=A727vbkits&Product_Count=1

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...2171&Category_Code=A727vbkits&Product_Count=0

Did you measure the spring perch ctr-ctr the # on that rear is the same as the one I got and it is 44+, if it's going in an A Body you need 43. Mine came out of a 70 Charger.
Bruce

well i measured from flange to flange but i was informed this chart is wrong so if the numbers say b body i would belive you.

rearend2.jpg

i already got a warmed over 340 in the car just gotta get the 7.25 out of the car before it breaks im tired of taking it easy.do you think the 904 would be strong enough or should it be a 727. i have a 727 i just need to rebuild it along with the rear.

The 904 should be just fine with what your running,i've got 3 seasons of racing on mine behind a 416 stroker still going strong..

You could make it work without changing the perches but the problem is you are going out with the springs which means less tire clearance.
Bruce

-
Back