8.25 1967 dart

-

doopdoop67

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if a 8.25 read end from a 69 charger would fit in a 67 dart. I'm assuming it won't but I'm curious about it. A guy on Craigslist has a 318,904, and rear end all for sale as a package deal for $1000 thinking I could get it cheaper because it's been for sale for a while. If it doesn't fit can you shorten it to make it fit? And information helps thanks folks

They never put 8.25 rears in '69 chargers, or anything for that matter 'til '72-'73. If you don't have any idea what it's from, who put it there, or what may have been modified to do
so......leave it there. If the guy moved his springs in and used an A-body rear as a "narrowed" rear, then score! But unless it's close, and you can get everything for $4-500, I'd skip
it. If it is close, I'd recommend checking out the rear axle spec sticky just posted by '72blu&blu, print it and take it &/a tape measure w/You.

B-Body rear will fit, but is wider, so different offset wheels will be needed to fit tires under the fenders in an A-Body....or you can have the housing shorted and buy aftermarket axles to fit....

Actually the 8.25 axle was introduced in 1969. I don't know much about what cars they came in before '73 though. I do know that I have one in my '71 Satellite SSP, and that is the original axle. Even with a 383 up front.

If it is originally out of a '69 charger it will be a couple inches wider than an A body rear. I actually use a 69 B body 8 3/4 in my Duster, but it's a better choice for a Duster than a dart because of the wider wheelhouses on the Duster body. You'd have to move the perches for sure, and on a Dart you'd need a lot of backspace to make that axle work. You could have it shortened, but for the asking price I think you'd be better off looking for something else unless you really have a use for the rest of the parts in the lot.

-
Back