8.25 "a"

-

Ccrussell

Reaction score
Hello,
I am searching for an "A" body 8 1/4 rear. I went on the Hemmings web site to see what cars originally came with 8 1/4. Many models did thankfully, but i have not been able to source one from a local yard.I went on line and did a network search thru junkyard data bases, and have had some replies, but no Paydirt yet. I told them what car it will be going into, etc,.
Any ideas?
What should i pay for a limited slip?
Thanks russ

There weren't many A-body models then - Dart, Valiant, Barracuda. A B-body (Belvedere, Coronet, Satellite?) would be several inches too wide, depending on your wheels. I don't recall if B-bodies were even the same 4" D bolt circle (SBP).

Are you sure 8.25"? I know there was a Mopar 8.25" rear, but I recall an 8.75" option for A-bodies. That alone is rare and add in Sure-Grip (limited slip) and you are looking for a rare beast.

If you give up, many posts on adapting a common Ford 8.8" rear (Explorer) for A-body. Apparently, you only have to shorten one side of the housing and can use a stock axle there.

The 8 1/4 rear became the std rear axle on 73 and up 340/360 A bodies. Not rare at all, and allways cheaper than a 8 3/4.

The gear ratio seems to make a big difference in the price. If it's a 2.40 or 2.76 ratio sure grip it's not going to be a hot seller so the price will be lower, possibly in the $200-300 range. A 3.21 or 3.55 sure grip will sell for more, possibly in the $400 range

I havent given up yet, but i may have to consider the exploder 8.8.
That sounds do able, although i was hoping for a bolt in.

I havent given up yet, but i may have to consider the exploder 8.8.
That sounds do able, although i was hoping for a bolt in.

Someone closer to you than me, should have one,, try putting an ad under "Parts Wanted"

I'd let my 8 1/4 3:55 sure-grip rear end go for $400, but shipping would be a killer..

cheers

The 8 1/4 rear became the std rear axle on 73 and up 340/360 A bodies. Not rare at all, and allways cheaper than a 8 3/4.

Sorry. For some reason, I was thinking he needed SBP (I was just in the early A forum). Now I realize the OP didn't tell us what year the car is. It usually matters.

-
Back