8.25 axle

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
ive done some searching with no luck.

i know that bigger is better. and my plan is to swap rear axles eventually when money comes.
when i first put my duster together with the 360 i swapped an 8.25 in and added an auburn locker and 3.55s.

i recently purchased a 440 and 727 to swap in. i know it probably wont hold up forever but i was just curious how long an 8.25 would last behind a mild built 440 with only a cam, head work, and flat tops.

the car doesnt really hook well as it is now with the 360. but eventually i am going to swap something stronger in.

just curious how much the 8.25 could handle.

Friend ran the same combo running around town and the highway for a couple years before he upsized and went racing. Having the auto helps but just don't get pounding on it and the rear should last. If she starts to make weird noises don't think twice, park her.

a friend of mine has a 8 1/4 rear in his duster with a 440. holds ups pretty good for the street.if u want to drag race it, u may want to get a 8 3/4 rear.

ok thanks guys. eventually i want to race it quite a bit. but for now i just want to have fun around town in it. my plans are either an 8 3/4 with 4.10s locked. or a narrowed 9in with the same gears. and eventually step up to a set of caltracs. id like to mini tub it but still keep the leaf springs. the springs are the comp springs from direct connection and they are fairly stiff.

I have a 8.25 in my b'cuda with a 470" BB and a 4 spd. Been there for yrs :burnout: with 3:73 gears. It's a street car and the street tires are the fuse. If they spin it'll be fine, if you put something sticky on it and make it hook it'll be toast in short order.

Been running a 8 1/4 in are trainer car 200 pass's and another 50 on the juice.
Waiting for it to brake so I can put the 8 3/4 in it.
Car runs 11.59 on the juice and 12'20's on engine.

IMGP1289.jpg

Trainee Jon
IMGP1283.jpg

IMGP0492.jpg

IMGP0359.jpg

Still waiting for it to brake.
60 ft's at 1.80's

-
Back