8.25 Diferential, carrier pinion shaft play

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
this question relates to the steel shaft that passes through the differential gear carrier that retains the spider gear assembly.This is a non-sure grip rear.

I had the rear diff cover off to service the fluid,, I turned the drive shaft by hand and noticed that the spider gears would 'rock' left or right just a bit with the initial turn of the drive shaft,,not much movement but certainly visible,, in hindsight I should have put an indicator on it or shot a video,,it is all back together an sealed up now.

I went to the FSM, there is no mention of a movement tolerance, and I also know that the steel pin is a slide in and is not a press fit, so there is bound to be some clearance between it in and the gear carrier,,

So is the movement I saw at the spider gears normal,, I just don't remember seeing if previously,
no funny noises from the diff when in operation..

thanks

Yes it has some play as it needs clearance for the oil to lube them otherwise they would seize to the shaft. There can get too much clearance but that would be in a high mileage rear. U can get a pin and spider kit to repair worn/ broken parts. Kim

Hyup spider walk is common.

However there should be zero play between the pin and the case. Play here may indicate a short lifespan of the pin retaining bolt. When that little tiny bolt shears, the pin will come flying out, or will want to come flying out. When it does, everything inside there will stop turning. Pray it happens while moving in a straight line.
A few thou is probably OK, but if the pin-holes are wallered out (thanks be to RRR for that word), then it may not be long.

Hyup spider walk is common.

However there should be zero play between the pin and the case. Play here may indicate a short lifespan of the pin retaining bolt. When that little tiny bolt shears, the pin will come flying out, or will want to come flying out. When it does, everything inside there will stop turning. Pray it happens while moving in a straight line.
A few thou is probably OK, but if the pin-holes are wallered out (thanks be to RRR for that word), then it may not be long.
Thanks for both replies,, good info

-
Back