8.25 dilemma and questions....HELP!

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
I am rebuilding an 8.25 rear axle with a Motive Gear rebuild kit. It currently is a 2.45 gear set and carrier. I have a lightly used set of 3.55s from a 2004 Dakota, I also have a late model (29 spline) carrier that is brand new for next to nothing.

See thread here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=153229

Item one: To get this to work, I need to have axles made since mine are 27 spline stock and thinner. According to the Mopar Action article I have from several years ago, the length remains stock, but I need to have it cut with the late model spline and C clip groove. I like this option because I get some stouter axles and more splines out of the deal, plus I could order them with the smaller Jeep register to center the rotors on the GC disc brake kit I am installing. However, I am apprehensive because I have never met anyone who was done this mod. I would hate to order the axles and get caught by a "gotcha" which renders my new axles useless.

My alternative is to get a 27 spline MP Sure-Grip (or other brand) and keep my current axles. I would need to open up the hole on the Jeep rotors, but that will be a rare need. Behind a 350 hp V8 on street tires (255-275 BFG Radials) will a 27 spline setup with stock axles be sufficient? The car will rarely, if ever see the track as I am building this for the street.

Just trying to decide my direction before I order axles. I have no problem going with plan A (Late Model Carrier) as long as I am not going to run into a bunch of problems along the way.

Item Two: I have never rebuilt an axle before. A buddy of mine helped me take the axle apart, and he was surprised to find the shim for the pinion to be placed between the housing and inner bearing race, instead of between the bearing and the pinion gear itself. Where is it suppose to be, and do I need to change this shim since I am changing from 2.45 to 3.55 gears?

The shim on my 8 1/4 was in the same spot as yours, between the bearing race and the housing. But when I set it up, I put them between the pinion and the bearing. Either spot, doesn't matter.

Yes, you will have to set it up to get the pattern right on the new gear. But the old shim is a good starting spot.

But if that is the case, that means I need to knock either the bearing or the race out a couple times for trial and error?? :dontknow:

Yes, a couple times if your luckey. More like 5 to ten times.
That's how many times it took me, it was my first time setting up a ring and pinion. But it paid off being fussy because my axle is very quiet.

-
Back