8.25 dodge dakota parts?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
I was looking around for gears and a differential for my car and found that the dodge dakotas use this axel. Would parts from a dakota 8.25 work on my car's 74' dart 8.25?

I was thinking of trying to pick up a set of gears and a factory LSD from a junkyard dakota.

Check to be sure, but I am certain that around 92 ish they started using a 6 lug pattern. You might want to look for an early one. Good luck!
Brian

I don't suppose anyone here knows the list of tools i would need to take out the ring/pinion of an 8 1/4??

It'd be easier then bring a big/heavy toolbox full of tools i wont use.

I'll try to be as complete as possible but I may leave something out.

1/2" drive sockets

3/4, 1 1/4

3/8" drive sockets

7/16, 1/2, 5/8 if you want to remove a ring gear from it's differential

You'll need a good preferably six point 5/16 box end wrench for the diff pin retaining bolt. And if the drive shaft is still in it you'll need either a 3/8 box end wrench or a 15mm depending on the year.

Some screwdrivers/pry tools.

You will need a hammer and a brass punch to punch the pinion gear out after taking the nut loose so you don't damage the threads, you'll be replacing the bearings anyway right?

You will also need some way of holding the pinion flange to get the nut loose.

You'll need a 1/2" drive breaker bar as well because it will be tight.

You should be able to pry the diff out of the case without loosening the carrier bearing adjusters so no big deal there plus if it has disc brakes on the back you'll need to get the rotors off it too. If it has drums you can usually always push them in far enough to get the C clips off and slide the wheel/drum/axle out as one unit.

-
Back