8.25 leaking oil

-

chris norman

Reaction score
Ever since I got my duster I've had an oil leak from the rear end, having now looked at it closer I can see its leaking from where the drivers side axle tube fits to the centre section. has anyone had this problem and is there a simple fix? What oil is best for this (75w90?). I'd also love to fit a posi one day but they're not gonna be easy to find here in the uk and shipping would be expensive I guess. Could I get just a posi unit to fit to my 8.25 if I can stop the leak!!, if so where to look?

Thanks for anyones advice in advance, this is a great forum with great advice and help on hand seemingly anytime of the day, I've even got a single seat cover on the way that a member on here gladly shipped international for me (I know its a pain in the rear lol).
chris

Jeep Cherokees with a dana 35 the carrier fits right in, the leak you prob have to have it welded.

That sucks. I've never had a leak there but I did have an 825 axle tube rotate in the housing one time. WREAKED HAVOC on my drive line until the drive shaft broke on the starting line. Anyhow I think welding is the answer on that one too. I believe they used some kind of special nickel rod b/c of the cast iron housing. I know it would be LOOOONG distance for you to call, but Cass at Dr. Diff is the nicest guy and would have an answer for you.

As for the sure grip unit. They exist all over used, and again I think Cass has them new at dr. Diff for the 8.25 too.

Best,

CE

84-2001, you can also steal the rear disk breaks off it just open the center hole out a bit and bolts right on. Make sure it is a track lok, usually has a "use limited slip gear oil" on the cover. Here is a decent thread on 8 1/4 rears.
The 8 1/4 thread

Sometimes they have a tone ring on them it will press off easily.

The tubes are pressed in u could seal it up with almost anything but the Right Stuff works awesome. U will need it to sel the cover when u put in ur sure grip. Kim

-
Back