8.25 options

-

TRASH

Reaction score
I have a 8.25 with a Suregrip and 4.30's in my Duster. I have been beatin on it for a couple of years and now want to drive it a bit more. My 99 Jeep Chereokee has a 8.25 in it as do Dakotas and Durangos. I was looking to go and grab some 3.55's and a Suregrip from the scrap yard and put them in a spare housing I have here. Im just unsure if all the parts will interchange.

I did some research at Randys ring and pinnion http://www.ringpinion.com and found that there is a listing for 75 and older, 75 to 96 and 97 to 08. 97 to 08 use a 29 spline axle so they are out. 75 to 96 use a 27 spline and use the same p.n. for the gears and posi carriers as the 75 and older.

Has anyone used these parts in there cars or know what will interchange? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Steve AKA TRASH

I have a 8.25 with a Suregrip and 4.30's in my Duster. I have been beatin on it for a couple of years and now want to drive it a bit more. My 99 Jeep Chereokee has a 8.25 in it as do Dakotas and Durangos. I was looking to go and grab some 3.55's and a Suregrip from the scrap yard and put them in a spare housing I have here. Im just unsure if all the parts will interchange.

I did some research at Randys ring and pinnion http://www.ringpinion.com and found that there is a listing for 75 and older, 75 to 96 and 97 to 08. 97 to 08 use a 29 spline axle so they are out. 75 to 96 use a 27 spline and use the same p.n. for the gears and posi carriers as the 75 and older.

Has anyone used these parts in there cars or know what will interchange? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Steve AKA TRASH

I have a set of 3.55s and a jeep trac loc LSD in my unknown yr Abody 8.25.(pulled from a 60s car)

I have a set of 3.55s and a jeep trac loc LSD in my unknown yr Abody 8.25.(pulled from a 60s car)

So I might be on to something. This was just a thought of mine to do this but I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it till you. I think Im going to give this swap a try.

If anyone else has some suggestions or cautions please chime in.

Thanks again and cheers, Steve.

So I might be on to something. This was just a thought of mine to do this but I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it till you. I think Im going to give this swap a try.

If anyone else has some suggestions or cautions please chime in.

Thanks again and cheers, Steve.

Just make sure its 96 or pre 96 if you're after an LSD. Those are the correct spline for an A-body.

I believe the ring/pinion is the same all the way around.

I put an unknown yr posi and 3.55 ring & pinion into my a-body a couple years ago. I ran into a problem/question when installing carrier into case. The bearings on the repalcement carrier were larger OD than old. I found out from DTS that there are two sets of bearings for the carrier and case. Carrier has same size shaft/hub but cases have two different size for the cup of bearing.. The two different timken bearings sets have cones with same cone ID but the two different cones have different OD's. But it all went OK and posi works great. Holding up to 408 stroker so far.

Thanks to everyone for there help. I looked around at the scrappers today and found a bunch of Dakota's with what I need. $75 if I remove everything or $125 if they do it. Im going with them doing the dirty work. :thumrigh:

Thanks again for the advice, TRASH.

Thx for the heads up I've had a sure grip with 3:55's or 3:21's on my wish list for a while. and this option makes it pretty affordable. Let us all know how it plays out! Question, do all the the Dakota's have the LSD in the rear or just the 4X4's?

~Sae

Thx for the heads up I've had a sure grip with 3:55's or 3:21's on my wish list for a while. and this option makes it pretty affordable. Let us all know how it plays out! Question, do all the the Dakota's have the LSD in the rear or just the 4X4's?

~Sae

I'm not sure which LSD's came from where, but I got mine from http://rearendshop.com/ which is semi-local to you.

They had a few used trac loc LSDs for a decent price. I think i paid like 125$ for mine(i forget if that was w/ or w/o shipping)

but just an FYI, the trac loc is different from the Suregrip. I believe the trac loc is a little weaker.

75-96 carriers use larger bearings than pre 75 carriers (as stated earlier the difference is in the OD of the race) the bearing flange on the carriers remained the same from 72-96 so as long as the spline count is correct for the axles any carrier (72-96) will fit in the rear end. One thing to watch for is the 2.45-2.20 carriers which will only work with those numerically low gear set.

75-96 carriers use larger bearings than pre 75 carriers (as stated earlier the difference is in the OD of the race) the bearing flange on the carriers remained the same from 72-96 so as long as the spline count is correct for the axles any carrier (72-96) will fit in the rear end. One thing to watch for is the 2.45-2.20 carriers which will only work with those numerically low gear set.

did you mean 2.45 thru 3.20?

Question, do all the the Dakota's have the LSD in the rear or just the 4X4's?

~Sae
Nope, I would say that only about 1/4 of all of them did and all were 3.55 or 3.91. Older models have a option tag on the underside of the hood and newer models (96? and later) have a option tag in the glove box. No gettin dirty to find out the truck has the wrong gears.:thumrigh:

Hope this helps and thanks again, TRASH.

Nope, I would say that only about 1/4 of all of them did and all were 3.55 or 3.91. Older models have a option tag on the underside of the hood and newer models (96? and later) have a option tag in the glove box. No gettin dirty to find out the truck has the wrong gears.:thumrigh:

Hope this helps and thanks again, TRASH.

But also you can find them in the grand cherokees that have 8.25s. I think they might be a little more common in those vehicles.

But also you can find them in the grand cherokees that have 8.25s. I think they might be a little more common in those vehicles.

They were used in the Grand Cherokee according to Randys Ring and Pinion, but I have never seen one myself otherwise I would steal the disk brakes off of one. My wifes 98 has a Dana 35 (JUNK!!!). Also they are listed as only being used in 97 and later so it would have the 29 spline axles and carrier and not the 27 that our cars would need.

Cheers and happy fathers day, TRASH.

-
Back