8.25 Power Question

-

321Scamp

Reaction score
Hey guys. I been looking, and if it has been asked before i am sorry, but what kind of power can a 8.25 withstand?

I am looking into possibly building a mild 360. I have new gears and a sure grip for my current 8.25 set up and i would hate to have to switch rear ends and never get to use my new gear set. This would not be a drag car, just a cruiser but want to still have the ability to get with it when i feel like it.

Thanks

I had the stock 8 1/4 s.g switched 3.23,s for 4.10,s in my 73 Dart Sport 340,4 speed.(was about 325hp)held no problem.Then I upped HP to 452hp,took it to the track and snapped an axel at launch!Scarey stuff,luckilly no damage.I now have an 8 3/4 s.g with 4.10,s.I think if you want peace of mind with your 8 1/4 you can put C-clip retainers on it,this will keep your axel from walking out if snappage.Here,s pics of snapped axel from 8 1/4.

Picture 010.jpg

still got that 81/4 gear set? :p

yea, 3.55 ring and pinon. Mopar sure grip unit. Install kit (new bearings, seals, bolts) I guess the up side to it is, my brother has two trucks with 8.25's so they wouldn't go to waste. I can get an A body 8.75 pretty cheap.

Where can I get these C-clip retainers?

From what I've read the 8.25 has stronger axles and the housing itself doesn't flex as easy as the 8.75.

I don't know about a stranger axle, but the housing is of a very different construction. I think the biggest weak point is the physical limitation of the ring gear size.

Moser, Strange, Yukon and other company's do make upgraded axles for this rear end.

don't want to sell that 8 1/4 kit do you? :p

I think i will hang on to it for right now. But if i do end up selling them, i will let you know.

The set up i am looking towards will make some where around 350 hp. If i can hang on to my 8.25, that would be great. But i do know where i can get an A body 8.75

-
Back