8.25 rear

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
any one use a stock 8.25 rear? Found a nos posi unit at a garage sale for 50 and a set of 3.55 gears for 25. I was thinking about putting this in the 74 dart when I put the 440 (mild cam and intake) into it. Not for racing just for fun.

A 8 1/4 will do the job "IF" you are not going to throw a bunch of HP in front of it or a manual transmission doing bon-zeye burn outs with slicks.We had one behind a preped 360 4 speed Dart with 4.10's. Did it's job on the street no problem. After about 50 or so passes at the track it failed side-steppin' the clutch at 6 grand.All on purpose to see what it would take.

Thanks, Trying to keep costs down. This is a 4 dr se and want to make it look like an old mans car to play with all the Japanese "race cars" around here.

Since you will have it opened up to install 3.55's,check it all out and if good use it...

Thanks, already changed the axel bearings and plan on changing then rest and also seals.

Buddy of mine made a RR clone out of 71 Satellite had an 8 1/4 w a 440 4 speed. Took his abuse for a good 6 yrs with no problems. Same guy had a built 360 in a 1/2 ton 8 1/4 and that seemed fine. I think 8 1/4s are tuffer than people give them credit for.

I will try it out and ley everyone know, Then 440 will not bin until spring.

Buddy of mine made a RR clone out of 71 Satellite had an 8 1/4 w a 440 4 speed. Took his abuse for a good 6 yrs with no problems. Same guy had a built 360 in a 1/2 ton 8 1/4 and that seemed fine. I think 8 1/4s are tuffer than people give them credit for.
True story...Mopar did their cam tests in a duster with a 400 and a 4.30 geared 8 1/4 rear running mid 11's so yeah they are tough enuff for what you wanna do...

ill confirm there strength too! a buddy with a 71 dart swapped in an 8 1/4 with 4.56 gears, i kept thinking he was gonna break that thing but after many trips to the track and have going the best of 11.0's with a 440 and 27.5 slicks its still not broken!! I havent bad mouthed the 8 1/4 since. they are stronger than they get credit for!

Really appreciate the info Guys, Just found all the parts minus carrier bearings for real cheap, around 100.

Really appreciate the info Guys, Just found all the parts minus carrier bearings for real cheap, around 100.

Go to the junkyard and find a 96 an older Jeep grand cheerokee and take the rear disc brake setup. It is a direct bolt on to the 8.25 a body rear. Now you have 4 wheel disc brakes.

Go to the junkyard and find a 96 an older Jeep grand cheerokee and take the rear disc brake setup. It is a direct bolt on to the 8.25 a body rear. Now you have 4 wheel disc brakes.

A BIG thumbs up to that one! :thumrigh:

Everybody else is dead on.

Are they 8 1/4's or what? and 4.5 bolt pattern? good info...

The 8 1/4 is much stronger than people give it credit for. I have a friend who ran one in a 11 second Demon hangin the meats when he left the line. Only reason he swapped to an 8 3/4 is because he upgraded the whole car. He never broke the 8 1/4.

Also the 14" and 15" rims wont fit the disc break set up so be ready to have to get wheels if your running a 14" or 15" stock Mopar rim.

Also the 14" and 15" rims wont fit the disc break set up so be ready to have to get wheels if your running a 14" or 15" stock Mopar rim.

I thought the 96-earlier Grand Cherokees came with 15 in wheels disc or drum brakes.

I thought the 96-earlier Grand Cherokees came with 15 in wheels disc or drum brakes.

The first year for the Jeep Grand Cherokee was 1993 and it had drum brakes, I think disc were an option. 1994-1998 all Grand Cherokees had disc brakes. They are all Dana 35 except for the 1998 limited that had a Dana 44A, and this has an aluminum center section.

All ZJs had 15" wheels, except for the 1998 limited that had 16".

The Jeep Cherokee XJ had dana 35 or chrysler 8.25 rears, but these were all drum.

But the disc brake setup from a Grand Cherokee ZJ with the Dana 35 will bolt onto a chrysler 8.25. I'm doing the swap now.

So will an 8 1/4 hold up to my combo with slicks?

360 .30 over
10:1
Eddie heads
Kb 107s
Air gap
750dp
Mp .484

727 3000 stall?

-
Back