8.25 to 8.75 swap. is it worth the effort and $ on a street 73 dart 340.

-

Dartndude73

Reaction score
Hi, I I'm new to the site and own my first Mopar. Up until now I've had all GM cars. I have the chance to purchase a 8 3/4 posi rear end out of an a body for my car for $1000.00. I bought the car with the original 8 1/4 rear 355 posi gears. I'm not planning to go out of control with the car performance wise. Roughly I'm looking for about 375 to 400 hp. I would like to get to high 12's or low 13's at the track. But this car will be primarily be for the street.
My question is how well - reliability wise - will the 8 1/4 take abuse. For instance both my gto's had stock 10 bolt rear ends. big blocks around 375 hp, heavy cars good traction. I never broke one even with a lot of flogging. But most gm guys will tell you 10 bolts are junk. It looks to me as if this may be the same scenario. Any suggestion's would be appreciated. thanks

8 1/4 will do just fine in a A-body going into the 12's.... save your 1000
..... and leave the GM talk. You don't need "400 horse" to go low 13's/high 12's ... LOL

8 1/4 will do just fine in a A-body going into the 12's.... save your 1000
..... and leave the GM talk. You don't need "400 horse" to go low 13's/high 12's ... LOL
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, Just trying to use "xx" as a reference - "I get your point!" I am used to alot heavier vehicle hence the HP and time numbers. Should have said will not exceed 375 to 400 hp. This deal just came up so haven't had much time to research. Again thanks.

With the C clip eliminator kit and a good carrier like a Dana Power Lock or even something like a Lock Rite, that 8 1/4 will be just as strong or stronger than the 8 3/4. No way in hell would I change it.

I was running 13.40's with an open 8 1/4 with 2.45's, when i swapped to an 8 3/4 i took the 8 1/4 apart and i looked good,pretty tuff rear end.

Like in your ex-camp, GM land, the smaller rear is heavily under rated and almost scorned. While the 8-3/4 gets all the glory and love for an EZ change out of the gear set, the 8-1/4 gets forgotten about. Add the C clip issue and a few videos of over powering them, there almost cursed.

Your car also maybe heavier than you think so a trip to the scales wouldn't hurt none. Build and set up accordingly.
You'll be fine.

With the C clip eliminator kit and a good carrier like a Dana Power Lock or even something like a Lock Rite, that 8 1/4 will be just as strong or stronger than the 8 3/4. No way in hell would I change it.
cool thanks a lot.

Like in your ex-camp, GM land, the smaller rear is heavily under rated and almost scorned. While the 8-3/4 gets all the glory and love for an EZ change out of the gear set, the 8-1/4 gets forgotten about. Add the C clip issue and a few videos of over powering them, there almost cursed.

Your car also maybe heavier than you think so a trip to the scales wouldn't hurt none. Build and set up accordingly.
You'll be fine.
thanks for the imput. kinda what I was figuring.

-
Back