8.25 with 3:23 gears going to 3:91 feed back please

-

swingercanada

Reaction score
I have a 1973 dart swinger 318 with rv cam, edlebrock intake,edlebrock intake, 904 tranny with 2700 stall. 8.25 suregrip rear end with 3:23 gears.
I know its not a high horespower beast, but out of the hole it's a dog. was thinking of going to 3:91 gears to wake it up a bit light to light. 95% of the driving i do is not on the highway. does anyone have similar set up or opinion on what im thinking of doing would be appreciated.

that set up should run pretty good off the line.
recurve your distributor,tune up,get a quality torque converter,and maybe a smaller rear tire...just a thought.

thanks, as far as tire its only 26" 225/60/15
everything is new on car front to back so runs great as far as tune up. just the rear end i put in car came with the 3:23 gears. car been on road for a week only but want some more get up light to light

so since everything is new front to back on this car , should be a lot more fun you think?

yes...RV cam should make good lo end torque.
your timing and distributor advance rate (curve) make a big difference.
are you sure you have 2700 stall..

The gear will help obviously, and i know you say the tune is good. But that's a very low compression engine and will like alot of initial timing, especially with a little extra cam. Factory timing specs will leave alot on the table as far as low end power. Try bumping your initial a few degrees at a time and see if it likes it.

whats in that 318 ? compression, cams specs, heads, intake, carb etc ? Ive had stock 318s that would smoke the tires with no issues. You have are looking for performance the distributors curve should be your first step.

I had a set up like that with 391s had dist re done initial 19 36 total talk about waking it up, it laid rubber every time it shifted, 600 holley with shift kit 2200 stahl.

-
Back