8 3/4 adjuster far in

-

1974scamp

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding my rear end.
Last year i replaced the seals and bearings in my 8 3/4 with this package from doctordiff:
Mopar Set 7 (A7) Tapered Axle Bearing Package

Since then the end play adjuster on the passenger side is way further screwed in compared to when i had the old bearings in. Means that also my passenger side wheel is further in than my driver side wheel.
Did quite a few miles since then with no issues, but it just worried me a bit that i had to screw the adjuster so far in to get the proper end play.
I dont have the old bearings anymore but could it be that the new ones are slimmer amd thats why i can put the passenger side axle further in?
Thanka Laurin

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding my rear end.
Last year i replaced the seals and bearings in my 8 3/4 with this package from doctordiff:
Mopar Set 7 (A7) Tapered Axle Bearing Package

Since then the end play adjuster on the passenger side is way further screwed in compared to when i had the old bearings in. Means that also my passenger side wheel is further in than my driver side wheel.
Did quite a few miles since then with no issues, but it just worried me a bit that i had to screw the adjuster so far in to get the proper end play.
I dont have the old bearings anymore but could it be that the new ones are slimmer amd thats why i can put the passenger side axle further in?
Thanka Laurin

Screenshot_20210319-100319_WhatsApp.jpg

if you have a clutch type suregrip the thrust button on that side fell out when you pulled the axle out. not an easy fix. more than likely have to pull the pumpkin to fix . you could take another button and glue it to a stick or something to put back in there , but the old one is floating around in there somewhere.

if you have a clutch type suregrip the thrust button on that side fell out when you pulled the axle out. not an easy fix. more than likely have to pull the pumpkin to fix . you could take another button and glue it to a stick or something to put back in there , but the old one is floating around in there somewhere.

Yeah it is a clutch type sure grip.
That was also my worry that the thrust button is not in place.
But wouldnt the driver side axle go completely somewhere without the thrust button, like i mean i drove with the car and had no issues or anything at all.

Thanks for your reply
Laurin

Couple of thoughts on my part. Driver side bearing not fully pressed on axle would be the first thought. Secondly is it a sure grip? If so the clutch style uses a spacer pin in the center that floats between the axles to take up space for adjustment. I have had them fall out, usually find the pieces laying in the housing. Could pull axles and use a good light to look and see if you can see the buttons from each side of center section. Dr Diff has pretty good parts and I can’t see there being a difference on bearing thickness, that being said things do happen.
Differential Pinion Thrust Spacer Kit

All that said
it is NOT uncommon for the rear ends in our A-bodies to not be centered in the car. Sometimes the rear is shifted, and sometimes the body is shifted. Neither of these affect the car, other than the thrust-angle, which for a streeter is no big deal. I swapped my adjuster axle from one side of the car to the other to get it closer, just because I wanted to fit 325/50-15s in the stock 68 Barracuda tubs.

Couple of thoughts on my part. Driver side bearing not fully pressed on axle would be the first thought. Secondly is it a sure grip? If so the clutch style uses a spacer pin in the center that floats between the axles to take up space for adjustment. I have had them fall out, usually find the pieces laying in the housing. Could pull axles and use a good light to look and see if you can see the buttons from each side of center section. Dr Diff has pretty good parts and I can’t see there being a difference on bearing thickness, that being said things do happen.
Differential Pinion Thrust Spacer Kit

Thanks for the answers.
So ill pull the axles and first check if the bearings are fully pressed on and then ill see if i can spot the thrust button, i think mine had a golden colour if i remember it right.

Could it not have caused damage to the bearings if i drove around now without the thrust button in place?

Laurin

Thanks for the answers.
So ill pull the axles and first check if the bearings are fully pressed on and then ill see if i can spot the thrust button, i think mine had a golden colour if i remember it right.

Could it not have caused damage to the bearings if i drove around now without the thrust button in place?

Laurin

You have to ensure the axle button is in middle of the diff where the axle slide in the diff. The button should only be used with the cone (factory) bearings do to how they are adjusted on the passenger side to center the axels in the housing. As one of the other guys said ensure that the bearings races are seated correctly on the axle. As for the bearing damage from driving on them. You’ll have to clean them and check for ware on each of rollers. If there is damage even on one roller, I’d replace with the “Green Bearings” that diff dr sells. If you go this route, you remove the adjusting button as there is no adjusting necessary. And ensure the bearing is seated correct on the axel shaft and just bolt it in and don’t have to mess with adjusting...

Last edited:
-
Back